Can I calculate magnetic force of a magnet?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the force that can be applied to an object based on the magnetic field strength of an electromagnetic. It also touches on calculating the magnetic field outside of a solenoid and how to maximize the strength of an electromagnet by increasing the number of turns in the solenoid. Additionally, there is a mention of an incident involving a strong electromagnet and a gas bottle, as well as a reference to a Wikipedia article for further information.
hadroneater
Is there a way of calculating how much force can be applied to an object if you are given the magnetic field strength of an electromagnetic?

For example, if an electromagnet produces a B field of 4T, what is the maximum mass of iron it can hold?

And also, how does one calculate the magnetic field outside of a solenoid?

*edit* It seems that I may have another question...*sigh*

If I wrap wires around an iron core like a solenoid to make an electromagnet, would its magnetic strength decrease or increase if I increase the radius of the core? How would I maximize the strength other than having more turns of wires?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was working on a 30 ton electromagnet with a 12,000 Gauss (1.2 Tesla) field, and lots of fringe field. A grad student wheeled by a large gas bottle of CO2, which the magnet snatched and broke off the pressure regulator. We could not remove it without turning off the current. If you put an octegenarian on O2 in a 4T MRI (NMR) solenoid, the flying O2 bottle will crush him.

To increase the strength of the electromagnet, just, increase the number of winof the solenoid.

Related to Can I calculate magnetic force of a magnet?

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is the force exerted between two magnets or between a magnet and a magnetic material. It is the result of the interaction between the magnetic fields of the objects.

2. How is magnetic force calculated?

Magnetic force can be calculated using the equation F = qvB, where F is the force, q is the charge of the moving particle, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field strength.

3. Can the magnetic force of a magnet be measured?

Yes, the magnetic force of a magnet can be measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that measures the strength of a magnetic field.

4. What factors affect the magnetic force of a magnet?

The magnetic force of a magnet is affected by the strength of its magnetic field, the distance between the magnet and other objects, and the orientation of the magnet's poles.

5. Can the magnetic force of a magnet be increased?

Yes, the magnetic force of a magnet can be increased by increasing the strength of its magnetic field, using stronger magnets, or by increasing the speed of the moving particles interacting with the magnet's field.