Can I Build a Simple Optical Device with Just Two Magnifying Glasses?

In summary, the class has been assigned to build a lens optical device such as a projector, camera, copier, telescope, microscope, solar cooker, etc. and include a ray tracing diagram. When asked for suggestions on the easiest and cheapest device to make, opinions varied with some mentioning telescopes and microscopes as easy and affordable options. One person expressed interest in building a solar cooker, but others were skeptical. Another person mentioned reading about building telescopes with just two magnifying glasses and asked for recommendations on where to purchase inexpensive ones.
AznBoi
Everyone in our class needs to build a lens optical device such as a projector, camera, copier, telescope, microscope, solar cooker, etc. We will need to include a ray tracing diagram. Has anyone ever made a simple device with lenses? What do you think will be the easiest and cheapest? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Telescopes are very easy and cheap. A microscope would be relatively easy as well. Solar cooker? Hah.

Any other opinions?

I've read some informational articles about building telescopes and it says that all you need is 2 magnifying glasses? Is it really this simple? If so, I'm going off to the store to buy magnifying glasses. =] Does anyone know where they sell cheap ones at? Thanks.

Related to Can I Build a Simple Optical Device with Just Two Magnifying Glasses?

1. What materials do I need for an easiest lens project?

You will need two clear plastic cups, water, a pencil, a piece of paper, and a flashlight.

2. How do I make a lens using these materials?

Fill one cup with water and place it on top of the piece of paper. Place the other cup upside down on top of the first cup. Use the pencil to make a small hole in the bottom of the top cup. Shine the flashlight through the hole and you will see a small image appear on the paper.

3. Can I use any type of plastic cup?

It is best to use clear plastic cups, as they allow the light to pass through easily. You can experiment with different types of cups to see the effects on the image.

4. What is the purpose of this project?

This project demonstrates the basic principles of how lenses work. It also shows how light can be refracted and manipulated to create images.

5. Can I use this lens to magnify objects?

Yes, you can use this lens to magnify small objects by placing them in front of the hole in the top cup. You can also experiment with different distances between the object and the lens to see the effects on the image.