Can I Build a 3-Phase Voltmeter for Testing Motorcycle Alternators?

• Thread starter XZ923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltmeter
In summary, Jim is trying to build a voltmeter that will simultaneously measure all three phases unloaded of a 3-phase permanent-magnet alternator off a motorcycle (Honda Goldwings mostly, not that that's relevant...) The way these are typically checked in the industry is to set a voltmeter to measure AC, disconnect the stator and measure the unloaded AC output. He has attached a PDF of his "pamphlet" on how to wire and use the meter. There is also a three-position switch that will let him select the phase to be measured.
XZ923
Hi, I'm trying to build a voltmeter that will simultaneously measure all three phases unloaded of a 3-phase permanent-magnet alternator off a motorcycle (Honda Goldwings mostly, not that that's relevant...) The way these are typically checked in the industry is to set a voltmeter to measure AC, disconnect the stator and measure the unloaded AC output Line 1-2, 2-3, 3-1. This is sometimes a pain to do in the garage so I'm looking to make a tool I can simply plug into the 3P outlet and read all three at the same time. The meter I use already is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-AC0-500V-LCD-Digital-Volt-Panel-Meter-Voltmeter-/111161235696?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e1b9d8f0

I've used this successfully as a single-phase meter for a while, so my though was to tie three of the together, powered by an independent 9-volt battery (when it says "power supply needed" the spec is 8-15VDC). I've attached a PDF of my proverbial tool and was just looking for input as to any design mistake I've made.

Attachments

• 3PVMschematic.pdf
    18.7 KB · Views: 191
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but I think you need 3 separate power sources for the 3 meters. I doubt they have isolation between their power input and the measurement leads...

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
Can you solder ?
this three position switch
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/A20303RNZQ/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvNbjZ2WlReYqS7wnWG8l9O54StjK1Q2yQ%3d
upload_2015-7-25_9-58-45.png

wired to a connector that mates with the stator plug
will let you select the phase to be measured.

its bottom will look like this
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/60/A_Rotary_30juyl14-38283.pdf
upload_2015-7-25_10-0-32.png

except it won't have terminals B and D

here's how to wire it
3pswitch.jpg

on the front panel of whatever you mount it to
Label position 1 AB (or 1-2)
Label position 2 AC (or 1-3)
Label position 3 BC (or 2-3)

now you can use any meter
myself i prefer analog meters for you can judge by the needle movement how much fluctuation you're getting.

upload_2015-7-25_10-3-48.png
have fun !

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input. Berkeman, I appreciate the input and I will adjust the panel to give each meter it's own individual 9V power source. Jim, the 3-position switch was actually my first thought on the subject, but I went for the three-digital-panel design simply for aesthetics sake since to be honest I'm really building a tool simply for the sake of the tool. I freely admit it's more of a project just to do it than for actual practical value. Maybe I'll make both designs and see which works better.

Thanks again guys.

XZ923 said:
I freely admit it's more of a project just to do it than for actual practical value.

I predict you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
At bottom of my avatar is a home-built special purpose test box.
Making your own special tools multiplies your rate of 'getting things done' .

Meters have got so inexpensive it's hardly worth buying a switch.
Whichever you do, your work-mates will want one too...

Related to Can I Build a 3-Phase Voltmeter for Testing Motorcycle Alternators?

1. What is a 3-phase voltmeter?

A 3-phase voltmeter is a type of electrical measurement instrument used to measure the voltage in a three-phase electrical system. It is specifically designed to measure voltage in systems with three separate phases, rather than the single phase found in most residential buildings.

2. How does a 3-phase voltmeter work?

A 3-phase voltmeter works by using three separate voltage measuring circuits, one for each phase. These circuits are connected to the three phases of the electrical system and measure the voltage in each phase. The readings from each circuit are then combined to give a complete measurement of the system's voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a 3-phase voltmeter?

One of the main advantages of using a 3-phase voltmeter is its ability to accurately measure the voltage in a three-phase system. This is important for ensuring the proper functioning of large industrial and commercial electrical systems. Additionally, a 3-phase voltmeter can also measure the voltage in each individual phase, allowing for the detection of any imbalances or issues within the system.

4. How do you calibrate a 3-phase voltmeter?

Calibrating a 3-phase voltmeter involves comparing its readings to a known reference voltage. This can be done by using a voltage divider or a precision voltage source. The voltmeter's readings can then be adjusted to match the reference voltage, ensuring accurate measurements.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using a 3-phase voltmeter?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when using a 3-phase voltmeter. It is important to always follow proper electrical safety procedures and wear appropriate personal protective equipment. Additionally, the voltmeter should be rated for use in the specific voltage range of the electrical system being measured, and caution should be taken to avoid coming into contact with live wires or components.

Back