Can I "bra" through a Modulus?

• Thread starter kq6up
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modulus
V>+|W>|In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of taking the modulus of a vector without knowing the basis being used and whether it is possible to "bra" through the modulus. It is determined that you cannot take an inner product between a vector and a scalar.
kq6up
If I have something like ||V>+|W>| That is the modulus of sum of two ket vectors, can I "bra" through the modulus like: <V|(||V>+|W>| )=|<V|V>+<V|W>|?

Thanks,
kq6up

Physics news on Phys.org
kq6up said:
||V>+|W>|
I have never heard of the modulus of a vector without knowing anything about the basis being used - at least you need to know the coefficients corresponding to each basis vector.
kq6up said:
can I "bra" through the modulus like: <V|(||V>+|W>| )=|<V|V>+<V|W>|?
You cannot take an inner product between a vector and a scalar.

When you put it as you did in your second line, it makes sense that my approach was wrong headed.

Thanks,
kq6up

Related to Can I "bra" through a Modulus?

1. Can I "bra" through a Modulus?

Yes, it is possible to use the modulus operator with the "bra" operation in some programming languages. However, it may not be a common or widely supported operation, so it is important to research and understand the specific language and its capabilities before attempting to use it.

2. What does "bra" through a Modulus mean?

The "bra" operation is a bitwise right-rotate operation on a binary number. When used with the modulus operator, it will return the remainder after the number has been rotated a certain number of times.

3. Can the "bra" operation be used with floating-point numbers?

No, the "bra" operation is typically used with integer or binary numbers. It does not have a defined meaning for floating-point numbers.

4. Are there any limitations to using "bra" through a Modulus?

Yes, there may be limitations depending on the programming language and the specific use case. For example, some languages may only support the "bra" operation on certain data types or may have restrictions on the input values. It is important to thoroughly understand the language's capabilities and limitations before attempting to use "bra" with the modulus operator.

5. How is "bra" through a Modulus different from other bitwise operations?

The "bra" operation is unique in that it rotates the binary number rather than shifting it. This can result in different outcomes and may be useful in certain situations, such as creating more complex algorithms or optimizing code. Additionally, the modulus operator adds an extra layer of functionality by returning the remainder after the rotation, making it a powerful tool for solving certain problems.