Can I Become an Optician/Optometrist Without Extensive Knowledge on Lasers and Optics?

• Physics
  • Thread starter wolly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary: An Ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who specializes in eye care. They are often called "eye doctors." An Optometrist is a health professional who is qualified to prescribe and dispense eyeglasses, contact lenses, and other optical products. An Optician is a person who is qualified to fit and adjust eyeglasses.
wolly
I didn't studied a lot about lasers and devices for optics other than lenses in high school.Do I stand a chance here?I mean the math isn't hard but I'm not sure if it is a competitive field.Is it worth it?I don't do it for the money and I will do this for experience.
I hope you can share your opinions about this career.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolly said:
I mean the math isn't hard
I thought you said you didn't like algebra and geometry?

berkeman said:
I thought you said you didn't like algebra and geometry?
Math is not a problem.I know to solve most of it but not all.

Is this the wrong place to talk about this?

Likes berkeman
wolly said:
Is this the wrong place to talk about this?
No, the Career Guidance forum is appropriate for this kind of question. I just think your previous thread where it appeared you really wanted to stay away from technical subjects and careers has put off the folks who normally respond to this type of question.

wolly said:
I didn't studied a lot about lasers and devices for optics other than lenses in high school.Do I stand a chance here?I mean the math isn't hard but I'm not sure if it is a competitive field.Is it worth it?I don't do it for the money and I will do this for experience.
I hope you can share your opinions about this career.
You may have a chance here. Undergraduate degree objective in Physics could be the preparation to put you in the direction of optician or something. Later, do you want to work in health & treatment? Or do you want to work with fitting people for lenses and frames?

I just did a very quick online search but you should check your own search and inquiries to various schools...
http://courses.vccs.edu/colleges/jsrcc/programs/51.1801-OpticianryOphthalmicDispensingOptician

That is just on example of information quickly found.

Is there a chance of promotion if you want to become a doctor?I mean I never had a chemistry lab in high school and school and I learned so little.

wolly said:
Is there a chance of promotion if you want to become a doctor?
No. The training for an optometrist is very different from the training a medical doctor goes through.

wolly said:
Is there a chance of promotion if you want to become a doctor?I mean I never had a chemistry lab in high school and school and I learned so little.
As @Mark44 says, they are very different...

https://aapos.org/terms/conditions/132
Difference between an Ophthalmologist, Optometrist and Optician

Related to Can I Become an Optician/Optometrist Without Extensive Knowledge on Lasers and Optics?

1. What is the difference between an optician and an optometrist?

An optician is a professional who is trained to dispense and fit glasses and contact lenses based on a prescription from an optometrist or ophthalmologist. An optometrist is a healthcare professional who is trained to examine the eyes and diagnose and treat visual problems and eye diseases. They can also prescribe glasses and contact lenses.

2. What education and training is required to become an optician or optometrist?

An optician typically requires a high school diploma and completion of a post-secondary program in opticianry, which can take anywhere from 1-2 years. Optometrists, on the other hand, require a bachelor's degree and a Doctor of Optometry (OD) degree, which typically takes 4 years to complete.

3. What are the job responsibilities of an optician or optometrist?

An optician's main responsibilities include interpreting prescriptions, fitting glasses and contact lenses, and educating patients on proper eye care and the use of glasses or contacts. An optometrist's responsibilities include conducting eye exams, diagnosing and treating visual problems and eye diseases, and prescribing glasses and contacts.

4. What skills and qualities are important for success in the optician or optometrist field?

Some important skills and qualities for opticians and optometrists include attention to detail, good communication and interpersonal skills, strong technical skills, and the ability to work well in a team. They also need to have good hand-eye coordination and be able to work standing for long periods of time.

5. What is the job outlook for opticians and optometrists?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for opticians and optometrists is expected to grow at a faster than average rate in the coming years. This is due to an aging population and increasing demand for vision care services. Additionally, advancements in technology and the use of telemedicine may also create more job opportunities in this field.