Can I Afford to Live on My Own During the Summer as a Student Scientist?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: Sure, I can do that. In summary, the environment at home is too difficult to focus in, the apartment is too crammed and small, and living with other people is too noisy. The public library is too loud, the local university/college library is quiet, and the coffee shops are too populated. If you need help, you can pull a book off a library shelf.
flyingpig
I am now back from the winter semester to my home and I like to spend the summer studying. Unfortunately I cannot focus because the environment is too difficult to. My apartment is extremely crammed and small. In addition I live with two other people (my mother and brother) and they are extremely noisely. I have told them to be quiet, but my mother just ignores me and my brother just messes up my paper work occasionally and I can't do a thing about it.

I tried to go to a public library today and it was ridiculously loud because there were tons of children screaming and the librarian just doesn't give a damn about it because it happens so often.

I've been to some other branches and it was still like this - really loud.

I am honestly out of options

Physics news on Phys.org
What about a local university/college library? In all honesty, at my university, anyone off the street could theoretically walk in and just study all day without ever being noticed or talked to while having absolutely no affiliation with the university.

Pengwuino said:
In all honesty, at my university, anyone off the street could theoretically walk in and just study all day without ever being noticed or talked to while having absolutely no affiliation with the university.

Haha. I did this for a solid 6 months while working part time, which included sneaking into classes too. =) It was the most productive time of my life in terms of math/physics self study. All the university libraries I've been to have designated quiet areas which really are quiet. I can't stand public libraries either because people usually aren't there to study.

I'm in a similar situation as you concerning the apartment. I literally can't study here, even if it's something simple that's why I force myself to go somewhere else. I would seriously look into universities libraries because I've studied at many and never once got ID'd. Good luck.

I could but I am ]NOT sure I could use the internet there...I mean don't they usually require you login with their ID?

I use my universities library, it's super quiet, but yes you need your ID to access their WiFi. If you knew someone who went there maybe they could help you out with that. Anyway, another place I like is the local Borders or Barnes and Nobles. They have free WiFi and it is always quiet. If you visit one near a university you won't be weird for walking in there to study, tons of people will be doing it. I also found that the main library in a city (usually downtown) is a great place to study. The one here in Orlando has just about every book you could possibly imagine, school texts and all, it's nice and quiet with a beautiful atmosphere too. Maybe the one in your city is the same.

flyingpig said:
I could but I am ]NOT sure I could use the internet there...I mean don't they usually require you login with their ID?

Often true, yes. Perhaps they will allow non-students to login for a small fee? It's worth asking about.

Are there quiet coffee shops available? Most offer free WiFi now.

There are cafes here but it is so populated that it is no different from people shouting.

Can you download the files you need while you're at home, then go to a university library to read them offline?

I could, but I often need help here...and I need the internet to do that.

Sometimes universities have it set up where you can either log in as a guest, or connect to the 'guest' network (which is slower, but it's not too noticeable when you're just surfing the web). You can try it. Also, university libraries usually have computers anyway and all of them are automatically logged on, so you could use those as well.

Thanks everyone, I'll head to one tomorrow to see. If it doesn't work...then I'll come back for more advice.

Otherwise, you can always just get good ear plugs.

There are those really good noise-canceling 'headphones' (they don't connect to any audio) or whatever they're called. You could get some of those...

Ryker said:
Otherwise, you can always just get good ear plugs.

Lol, I alraedy have, but it's still noisy. My apartment is very crammed as I have said, so the noises are often very close to me, so earplugs aren't very useful.

But noise isn't the only problem. I don't even have a book shelf or good light source to work at night. I actually didn't want to come back home because I had so much fun studying at university (yeah I am a nerd...)

flyingpig said:
I could, but I often need help here...and I need the internet to do that.

If you need help, pull a book off a shelf.

hadsed said:
There are those really good noise-canceling 'headphones' (they don't connect to any audio) or whatever they're called. You could get some of those...

I have a decent pair: Peltor Optime 105. Something like $20 on Amazon. They're actually pretty good at attenuating noise--go read the Amazon reviews.

Sprinkle sleeping potion over your family's dinner.

Also, you can go to a park and study outdoors at a picnic table.

sari said:
Sprinkle sleeping potion over your family's dinner.

Also, you can go to a park and study outdoors at a picnic table.

As long as the weather is nice and there's enough light for you to see.

I still think a university library would be the best place, provided the OP can get in. Our school checks student IDs at night to verify everyone's a student; if you're not a current student (or faculty member), you're shown the door.

Surely you can get a room to yourself for several hours a day? If not, why not make a deal to do washing up/homework help to get that space? Surely ear plugs would work if the only noises are coming from outside the room? If not, the Peltor Optime 105 is a great suggestion...

It just occurred to me: If the OP is a university student, can't he/she live in a dorm? It might cost more but it might be worth the extra cost if it means he/she can study and get better grades.

Geezer said:
It just occurred to me: If the OP is a university student, can't he/she live in a dorm? It might cost more but it might be worth the extra cost if it means he/she can study and get better grades.

No, I am completely broke and I leech off my parents. They will pay for the winter session, but I got to live in the dumpster with them during the summer.

flyingpig said:
No, I am completely broke and I leech off my parents. They will pay for the winter session, but I got to live in the dumpster with them during the summer.

Do you work during the summer? If so, is it enough to pay for your own rent?; that is, you pay rent yourself instead of asking your parents to cover your rent?

Do your parents pay all of your tuition, or do you get student loans, Pell grants, or scholarships?

Related to Can I Afford to Live on My Own During the Summer as a Student Scientist?

1. How can I find a quiet place to study?

There are a few different ways to find a quiet place to study. One option is to use a library or study room, which are specifically designed for quiet studying. You can also try studying in a quiet coffee shop or outdoor space. Additionally, you can ask family and friends if they have a quiet space you can use.

2. What should I look for in a quiet study space?

The most important factors to consider in a quiet study space are minimal distractions and a comfortable environment. Look for a space that is away from high-traffic areas and has minimal noise. It should also have a comfortable chair and desk or table for studying.

3. How can I make my current study space quieter?

If you are unable to find a new study space, there are a few things you can do to make your current space quieter. Consider using noise-cancelling headphones to block out distractions, or playing white noise or nature sounds to create a more peaceful environment. You can also try studying during quieter times of the day, such as early in the morning or late at night.

4. What are the benefits of studying in a quiet space?

Studying in a quiet space can have many benefits, including improved focus and concentration, better retention of information, and reduced stress and anxiety. It allows you to fully immerse yourself in your studies without any distractions, leading to more productive and efficient studying.

5. How can I maintain a quiet study space?

To maintain a quiet study space, it's important to communicate your needs with those around you. Let family members or roommates know when you need a quiet environment for studying. You can also use visual cues, such as a "do not disturb" sign, to indicate when you need uninterrupted study time. It's also important to set boundaries and avoid distractions, such as taking breaks to check your phone or social media.