Can I accurately plot the orbits of our solar system's planets using equations?

• Thread starter Breyyne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for equations to graph the orbits of the planetary bodies in our solar system on a grid. The person is looking for a way to create a computer model of the solar system that takes into account dates and times, without worrying about the physics or potential collisions between planets. They mention a possible use for this program in a game and provide a link to a website that offers a good approximation for planetary positions from 3000 BC to 3000 AD.
Breyyne
I have been searching the internet for the last few days with no luck, due probably to the improper phrasing of my searches, for what I think is a fairly straight forward set of answers.

Basic Question: "Are there equations to graph the orbits of our solar system's planetary bodies on to a graph?"

Expanded: Assuming a static model of our solar system (one in which simulated for millions of years outward would show no deviation in the orbits), Is the a set of equations to plot the stellar bodies onto a grid based on a date/time given for earth?

I would like to be able to create essentially a solar system model in a computer than is bothering with Newtonian physics or whether planet a will crash into planet b. Basically, I want to write a program (possibly later incorporate it into a game) that will give me a distance from any two orbital bodies given a date/time. This would be somewhat the equivalent to solar system models made for elementary science fairs.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Related to Can I accurately plot the orbits of our solar system's planets using equations?

What are Planetary Orbit Equations and why are they important?

Planetary Orbit Equations are mathematical equations that describe the motion of planets around the sun. They are important because they allow us to predict the path of a planet's orbit and understand the forces at work.

What factors affect a planet's orbit?

The factors that affect a planet's orbit include the mass of the planet, the mass of the sun, the distance between the planet and the sun, and the planet's velocity.

What is Kepler's Third Law and how does it relate to Planetary Orbit Equations?

Kepler's Third Law states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun. This law is incorporated into Planetary Orbit Equations to accurately predict a planet's orbit.

Can Planetary Orbit Equations be used for all types of orbit?

No, Planetary Orbit Equations are specifically designed for circular and elliptical orbits. They cannot accurately predict the motion of objects in highly eccentric or irregular orbits.

How have Planetary Orbit Equations been used in space exploration?

Planetary Orbit Equations have been used to plot the trajectories of space probes and spacecraft, ensuring they reach their intended destinations and can perform necessary maneuvers. They have also been used to plan missions and calculate launch windows.