Can High Emissivity IR Paint Solve Pyrometer Accuracy Issues on Steel Surfaces?

In summary, the paint should have a high uniform emissivity in the IR region and be transparent in the visible range. It is preferable that the paint is non-toxic.
jarra
I'm having problems measuring the temperature of a steel surface with varying emissivity with a pyrometer. So I thought one way to overcome the varying emissivity is to paint the surface with a paint that has a high uniform emissivity in the IR region.

The paint should:
  • Have high emissivity in the 7-15µm range and be transparent in the visible range.
  • Not change it's emissivity in the temperature range 50-200oC.
  • It is also preferable that the paint is non-toxic.

Does anyone know of a paint that matches these criteria?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why do you need it to be transparent in the visible?
Otherwise the best easiest high emissivity surface is carbon, soot from a smoky candle or charcoal from a barbecue is about as good as it's possible to get.

The surface I'm supposed to measure is a drying cylinder in a paper machine. I'm supposed to measure the temperature while the machine is running. So in order not to colour the paper the paint needs to be transparent in the visible.
It is my master project I'm working on so if anybody have an alternative method on how to measure the temperature I would be all ears.

Thank you for your help!

jarra said:
The surface I'm supposed to measure is a drying cylinder in a paper machine.
Non contact ir thermometer is a classic method.

So in order not to colour the paper the paint needs to be transparent in the visible.
Still not clear why it needs to be transparent.
The drying is going to be by contact so as long as it isn't super insulating the paint isn't going to have any effect on the drying.

If the metal is only at 100-200C the peak emission is going to be well out into the IR band so just the metal may be black enough, you could also calibrate the emissitvity by measuring the IR signal and the temperature of the part while it is not moving.
See http://www.raytek.com/Raytek/en-r0/IREducation/ for more info on IR thermometers

While drying the paper is in direct contact with the cylinder so if the paint had a colour the paper would probably be coloured as well.

I don't think calibrating the emissivity would work well either. Because the surface is not uniform. When trying to calibrate the emissivity I obtained emissivities in the range 0.2-0.6 for different areas.

I've been searhing the net for pyrometers that are "independent" of the emissivity and I've found two-/multi-band pyrometers, and pyroreflectometers. But they use photodetector sensor that doesn't work in the temperature range 90-200 C.

Thank you again for your replies.

Related to Can High Emissivity IR Paint Solve Pyrometer Accuracy Issues on Steel Surfaces?

1. What is high emissivity IR paint?

High emissivity IR paint is a type of paint that is designed to have a high infrared emissivity, meaning it can effectively absorb and radiate infrared energy. This allows it to reflect less heat and keep surfaces cooler compared to traditional paints.

2. How does high emissivity IR paint work?

High emissivity IR paint contains special pigments and additives that are able to absorb and emit infrared radiation. This helps to reduce heat transfer and keep surfaces cooler, making it a useful tool for energy efficiency and thermal management.

3. What are the benefits of using high emissivity IR paint?

Some potential benefits of using high emissivity IR paint include improved energy efficiency, reduced cooling costs, and increased comfort in buildings. It can also help to extend the lifespan of building materials by reducing heat-related damage.

4. Can high emissivity IR paint be used on any surface?

High emissivity IR paint can be used on a variety of surfaces, including metal, wood, concrete, and masonry. However, it is important to properly prepare the surface and follow the manufacturer's instructions for application to ensure optimal performance.

5. Is high emissivity IR paint safe to use?

High emissivity IR paint is generally considered safe to use, but it is always important to follow safety precautions and use proper protective gear during application. It is also important to properly dispose of any unused paint and containers according to local regulations.