Can Heart Muscle Cells Mutate into Cancer Cells?

• Thread starter TheSkyKing
  • Start date
In summary: in summary, the heart can develop cancer cells, but it is not heriditary and is caused by environmental factors.
TheSkyKing
If anyone has read my posts you are probably aware that I take a great interest in cell and cancer biology. So for my next question I want to ask about cancer once again. Now from reading different books and viewing different sites I have come to learn of cancers of the neck, head, bone, muscle, you name it. But one thing I never did see mention in association with cancer is the heart. Is it possible for the heart to develop cancer cells, or more precisely is it possible for the musscle cells in the heart to mutate into cancer cells? :confused:

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm thinking that all cells in the body that are nucleated can develop into cancer cells. Since the heart has such an essential function to the survival of humans, any cancer that develops in heart cells would probably not be heriditary, and would be caused by environmental effects.

Another point would be that cancers usually develop in actively dividing cells (e.g. breast cancer, skin cancer). Cells in the heart are non-dividing, hence myocardial infarctions are very difficult to repair. This is one of the reasons why stem cell research is so popular; stem cells can mature into any type of cell given the appropriate environment and factors.

Angiosarcoma is a cancer in the lining of blood vessels, and has been known to occur in the heart.

K

kalladin said:
I'm thinking that all cells in the body that are nucleated can develop into cancer cells. Since the heart has such an essential function to the survival of humans, any cancer that develops in heart cells would probably not be heriditary, and would be caused by environmental effects.

Another point would be that cancers usually develop in actively dividing cells (e.g. breast cancer, skin cancer). Cells in the heart are non-dividing, hence myocardial infarctions are very difficult to repair. This is one of the reasons why stem cell research is so popular; stem cells can mature into any type of cell given the appropriate environment and factors.

Angiosarcoma is a cancer in the lining of blood vessels, and has been known to occur in the heart.

K

Your answer sounds right on target.
http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=0007617E-75E8-1C71-9EB7809EC588F2D7

thank you very much you two. makes perfect sense.

Related to Can Heart Muscle Cells Mutate into Cancer Cells?

1. Can heart muscle cells actually mutate into cancer cells?

Yes, it is possible for heart muscle cells to undergo mutations that transform them into cancer cells. However, this is a very rare occurrence and is not a common type of cancer.

2. What causes heart muscle cells to mutate into cancer cells?

The exact cause of heart muscle cell mutations is not fully understood. However, factors such as exposure to certain chemicals or radiation, genetic predisposition, and aging may contribute to these mutations.

3. Is there a way to prevent heart muscle cells from mutating into cancer cells?

Currently, there is no known way to prevent heart muscle cells from mutating into cancer cells. However, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and avoiding exposure to harmful substances may decrease the risk of mutations.

4. How can heart muscle cell mutations be detected?

Heart muscle cell mutations can be detected through various diagnostic tests, such as imaging scans, biopsies, and genetic testing. However, since this type of cancer is rare, it may not be routinely screened for.

5. What are the treatment options for heart muscle cell cancer?

Treatment for heart muscle cell cancer may include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy. The type of treatment depends on the stage and type of cancer, as well as the individual's overall health.