Can gravity be ignored in a spring problem with multiple masses and springs?

In summary, the conversation discusses a spring problem with two masses and three springs hanging from a ceiling. The speaker is constructing a matrix to find the normal modes of oscillation and solve for the angular frequencies. They question whether or not to include gravity in the K matrix, but it is determined that it can be left out as the weight and static forces will sum to zero. The speaker suggests solving the statics problem first to find the extensions of the springs caused by gravity, then setting up the dynamics equations using the displacement from the static position.
sol66
So I have a spring problem where I have two masses and three springs hanging down from a ceiling. Each spring has a different force constant and each mass has a different weight.

|.....|
|Spring 1...|Spring 3
Mass 1...|
|.....|
|Spring 2...|
...Mass 2...
That is the diagram. Anyways I'm constructing a matrix to find my normal modes of oscillation being dependent on the displacement of Mass 1 and the displacement of Mass 2. I know that for a spring problem that contains only one spring with a hanging mass that I can ignore gravity and solve for the homogenous complementary solution finding my angular frequencies. Then to get the complete solution and just add the particular solution that takes gravity into account. My question is this ... for this particular problem, when I create my K matrix to solve for my normal modes, normal coordinates, and angular frequencies can I simply leave out gravity? Unless the force of gravity was somehow dependent on x position, which I can't see ... I don't see a reason/ way to add it in my K matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by solving the statics problem to find the extensions of the springs caused by gravity.

Then set up the dynamics equations using the displacement from the static position. If you draw a free body diagram for each mass, it should be obvious that the weight and "statics" forces in the springs will sum to zero if you solved the statics problem correctly, so those forces will not affect the dynamics equations.

Related to Can gravity be ignored in a spring problem with multiple masses and springs?

1. What are normal modes?

Normal modes are the different ways that an object can vibrate or oscillate. They are determined by the physical properties of the object, such as its shape, size, and material. Each normal mode has a unique frequency at which the object will vibrate.

2. How do normal modes relate to gravity?

Normal modes can be affected by gravity, as gravity can change the shape and position of an object. This can alter the frequencies at which the object will vibrate. Additionally, gravity can also influence the forces acting on an object, which can affect the amplitude and direction of its normal modes.

3. What is the significance of normal modes in science?

Normal modes are important in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. They can help us understand the fundamental properties of objects and their behavior under different conditions. For example, normal modes are used to study the structure and composition of molecules, the behavior of materials under stress, and the oscillations of celestial bodies.

4. Can normal modes be observed in everyday life?

Yes, normal modes can be observed in everyday life. For example, when a guitar string is plucked, it vibrates at its normal modes, producing different musical notes. Similarly, when a bridge or building experiences an earthquake, it will vibrate at its normal modes, which can lead to structural damage.

5. How does the study of normal modes contribute to our understanding of gravity?

Studying normal modes can help us understand the effects of gravity on objects at different scales. For instance, normal modes can be used to study the oscillations of planets and stars, providing insights into their composition and structure. Additionally, normal modes can also be used to study the behavior of gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by massive objects.