Can Gamma Function be used to Integrate Factorials?

In summary, the Gamma function can be defined by a definite integral and has various properties. It is defined for all complex numbers except negative real integers, and is equivalent to x! for non-negative real integers. There is no numerical solution for the integral \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x!}dx, but it can be rewritten as \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{\Gamma(x+1)}dx which may have a solution using the Weierstrass product representation.
Hyperreality
By definite integral, gamma function can be defined as

[tex]\Gamma(z)= \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{z-1}e^{-t} dt[/tex]

I've learned some properties of Gamma function but my lecturer didn't tell us the domain of Gamma function. (I'm assuming it is defined for all non-negative real numbers).

I thought of this problem a while ago:

We know that
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1+x/n)^n=e^1[/tex]

My question is, is there a numerical solution to

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x!} dx[/tex]

where x is an non-negative real number over a continuous interval in terms of gamma function?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried looking this up but to no avail sorry. I think you will find that the Gamma function is definied for all complex numbers except negative real integers (but obviously depends on context of what you are using it for to what you definie it for). But something worth noting is that:

[tex]x! = \Gamma (x + 1)[/tex] if and only if [tex]x \epsilon \mathbb{Z}, x \geq 0[/tex]

So your question doesn't really make much sense, what you want to be asking is this:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{\Gamma (x + 1)}dx[/tex]

Otherwise quite simply as x! is just a series of points:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x!}dx = 0[/tex]

P.S Err, also:

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} \neq e^1[/tex]

I think you will find that:

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} = e^x[/tex]

Last edited:
N! is just a series of points, where n is any whole number; whereas the Pi function can describe continuously. But there is a discrepancy; for instance, (1.5)! doesn't make sense in the traditional sense of the function, but it does according to the continuous Pi function. Thus, the integral of a factorial doesn't seem to make much sense. Besides, it wouldn't prove too useful anyways because in most mathematics, n! is presented as a constant and thus need not be integrated as a function over n.

Last edited:
You might try the Weierstrass product representation and have a go at

[tex]\int_0^{+\infty} \frac{1}{\Pi(t)}dt[/tex]

, where [itex]\Pi(t) = \Gamma(t + 1)[/tex], but a nice answer probably won't result. You might try to get suitable Riemann sums at integer points on a general interval and try to bound the integral though.

Related to Can Gamma Function be used to Integrate Factorials?

1. Can the Gamma Function be used to integrate factorials?

Yes, the Gamma Function can be used to integrate factorials. In fact, the definition of the Gamma Function is an extension of the factorial function, and it allows for the calculation of factorial values for non-integer values.

2. What is the formula for the Gamma Function?

The formula for the Gamma Function is Γ(n) = (n-1)!, where n is a positive real number.

3. How does the Gamma Function relate to the factorial function?

The Gamma Function is an extension of the factorial function, meaning that it is a generalization of the factorial function for non-integer values. It is defined as Γ(n) = (n-1)!, where n is a positive real number.

4. Can the Gamma Function be used to solve integrals involving factorials?

Yes, the Gamma Function can be used to solve integrals involving factorials. It is a useful tool in solving integrals that involve factorial terms, and it allows for the calculation of these integrals for non-integer values.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Gamma Function to integrate factorials?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Gamma Function to integrate factorials. It can only be used for positive real values, and it is not defined for negative or complex numbers. Additionally, it may not always give exact values for integrals involving factorials, but rather approximate values.