Can Fourier Transformation be Used for Amplitude of a Free Particle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the amplitude for a free particle to propagate and the use of Fourier transform in evaluating it. The last step of the equation involves completing the square and evaluating the gaussian integral. However, there is a mistake in the expression used and it should be ~exp[im(x-x_0)^2/2t]. The individual discussing the conversation thanks the expert for their help.
karlsson
I hope this is the correct place for my question. I posted it here, because it`s from Peskin & Schroeder:
"Consider the amplitude for a free particle to propagate from [tex] \mathbf{x}_{0} [/tex] to [tex] \mathbf{x} [/tex] :

[tex]U(t)=\left\langle \mathbf{x}\right|e^{-iHt}\left|\mathbf{x_{0}}\right\rangle[/tex]

In nonrelativistic quantum mechanics we have E=p^2/2m, so

[tex] U(t)&=&\left\langle \mathbf{x}\right|e^{-i(\mathbf{p}^{2}/2m)t}\left|\mathbf{x}_{0}\right\rangle [/tex]

[tex]
=\int\frac{d^{3}p}{(2\pi)^{3}}\left\langle \mathbf{x}\right|e^{-i(\mathbf{p}^{2}/2m)t}\left|\mathbf{p}\right\rangle \left\langle \mathbf{p}\right.\left|\mathbf{x_{0}}\right\rangle [/tex]

[tex]
=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3}}\int d^{3}p\, e^{-i(\mathbf{p}^{2}/2m)t}\cdot e^{i\mathbf{p}\cdot(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}_{0})}
[/tex]

[tex]
=\left(\frac{m}{2\pi it}\right)^{3/2}\, e^{im(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}_{0})/2t}}
[/tex]
."

I don't understand the last equation.
Why I can't use the fourier-transformation:

[tex]
=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3}}\int d^{3}p\, e^{-i\mathbf{p}\cdot(\mathbf{x}_{0}-\mathbf{x})}\widetilde{f}(\mathbf{p})
[/tex]

[tex]
=f(\mathbf{p})
[/tex]

[tex]
=e^{-i(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}_{0})^{2}/2m)t}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
but is what you have don actually ;)

marco

Sry, I don't understand. My solution is a different one as from Peskin & Schroeder. But why?

karlsson said:
[tex]
=\int\frac{d^{3}p}{(2\pi)^{3}}\left\langle \mathbf{x}\right|e^{-i(\mathbf{p}^{2}/2m)t}\left|\mathbf{p}\right\rangle \left\langle \mathbf{p}\right.\left|\mathbf{x_{0}}\right\rangle [/tex]

[tex]
=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3}}\int d^{3}p\, e^{-i(\mathbf{p}^{2}/2m)t}\cdot e^{i\mathbf{p}\cdot(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}_{0})}
[/tex]

[tex]
=\left(\frac{m}{2\pi it}\right)^{3/2}\, e^{im(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}_{0})/2t}}
[/tex]
."

I don't understand the last equation.

The last step is made by completing the square and evaluating the gaussian integral (although with complex coefficient). I suspect the expression should be ~exp[im(x-x_0)^2/2t] though...

Why I can't use the fourier-transformation:

The last step is precisely the evaluation of a Fourier transform. In what you write next:

[tex]
=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3}}\int d^{3}p\, e^{-i\mathbf{p}\cdot(\mathbf{x}_{0}-\mathbf{x})}\widetilde{f}(\mathbf{p})
[/tex]

[tex]
=f(\mathbf{p})
[/tex]

[tex]
=e^{-i(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}_{0})^{2}/2m)t}
[/tex]

It looks like you have simply taken [tex]\widetilde{f}=f[/tex] and replaced the [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex] argument with [itex]\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}_0[/itex].. If so then this is wrong. The Fourier transform should be evaluated as in the last step of your first equation (i.e. completing the square as I wrote)

jensa said:
I suspect the expression should be ~exp[im(x-x_0)^2/2t] though...

You are right.

jensa said:
The last step is made by completing the square and evaluating the gaussian integral ...

Thanks a lot.

Related to Can Fourier Transformation be Used for Amplitude of a Free Particle?

What is the concept of amplitude for a free particle?

The amplitude for a free particle refers to the probability of finding a particle at a specific location in space given its initial position and momentum. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of particles.

How is the amplitude for a free particle calculated?

The amplitude for a free particle is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of quantum systems. It involves solving for the wave function, which represents the amplitude of the particle at different points in space.

What is the significance of the amplitude for a free particle?

The amplitude for a free particle is significant because it represents the probability of the particle being in a particular location in space. This probability amplitude can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the particle and its interactions with other particles.

Can the amplitude for a free particle be negative?

Yes, the amplitude for a free particle can be negative. This indicates that there is a phase difference between the two states of the particle, and the wave function can have both positive and negative values. However, the probability of finding the particle in a certain location is always positive.

How does the amplitude for a free particle change over time?

The amplitude for a free particle evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation. As the particle moves, the amplitude changes and creates interference patterns, which can be observed in experiments such as the double-slit experiment. This evolution of the amplitude is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.