Can Fityk help identify peaks in large and spliced data sets for a physics lab?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a lab that may require computer programming, specifically to determine the number of peaks in a large set of data points. The data has gaps and a sinusoidal pattern, with distinct shapes and changing periods. The individuals involved are trying different methods, but have not found a solution yet. They suggest using analysis software such as Minitab, Mathematica, or fityk, which is designed to fit peaks in data.
scout0
This is my first post, if you need any more information I'll try to put it up as quickly as possible.

I have a tricky problem in my lab that may lend itself to computer programming, but I have little training in that area.

OBJECTIVE: How many peaks are there in my data?
DATA:
I have a large set of data points (70 000+).
There are skips in the data where the lost points are not recorded and the points on either side of these gaps are just spliced together.
The graph of the data points oscillates in a generally sinusoidal fashion.
The envelope made by tracing the peaks has its own distinct shape and period (which changes).

We're trying a couple add-hoc methods, but we don't really have a good handle on this yet.

Technology news on Phys.org
Have you tried evaluating the data using any analysis software: Minitab, Mathematica, etc...

Try fityk to look at the data, it has been written to fit peaks in data...

http://www.unipress.waw.pl/fityk/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can Fityk help identify peaks in large and spliced data sets for a physics lab?

1. What is a "sticky problem" in a physics lab?

A "sticky problem" in a physics lab refers to a situation where a material or substance adheres to a surface or object, making it difficult to remove or manipulate.

2. How can a "sticky problem" affect the outcome of an experiment?

A "sticky problem" can affect the outcome of an experiment by altering the properties of the material being studied, leading to inaccurate or inconsistent results. It can also cause delays and frustration in the lab.

3. What are some common causes of "sticky problems" in a physics lab?

Some common causes of "sticky problems" in a physics lab include static electricity, adhesives or residues left behind from previous experiments, and certain materials with high adhesive properties.

4. How can a scientist prevent or solve a "sticky problem" in a physics lab?

To prevent or solve a "sticky problem" in a physics lab, a scientist can take precautions such as using anti-static materials, properly cleaning and preparing surfaces, and using non-adhesive tools and equipment. If a "sticky problem" does occur, it can be solved by using specialized solvents or techniques to remove the substance.

5. How important is it to address and resolve a "sticky problem" in a physics lab?

Addressing and resolving a "sticky problem" in a physics lab is crucial for ensuring the accuracy and validity of experimental results. It also helps maintain a safe and efficient working environment for the scientist.