Can Excel's Solver be used to solve a set of two equations?

In summary, the conversation was about using the solver function in Excel to solve a set of two equations. The person asking for help was having trouble understanding how it works and was seeking a step-by-step explanation. Another person suggested looking at a sample file in the Office\Samples folder for guidance or posting the specific problem for others to help solve. However, the original person was able to find an explanation elsewhere.
TSN79
I'm trying to use the solver in Excel to solve a set of two equations, but I can't figure out how it works. Can someone give me a step by step description?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Admittedly, I don't use that function. I can usually do it quicker with other methods. That's not to say I won't try something though.

From the help file:
Microsoft Excel includes a workbook, Solvsamp.xls in the Office\Samples folder, that demonstrates the types of problems you can solve.

Did you take a look at that file to see if you could figure out what you need?

Or just post your actual problem you want to solve and we'll see if we can't figure it out too.

I found an explanation somewhere else, but thanks anyway FredGarvin!

Related to Can Excel's Solver be used to solve a set of two equations?

What is the purpose of using Excel to solve equations?

The purpose of using Excel to solve equations is to automate the process of solving complex mathematical equations. Excel allows users to input equations and variables, and then easily manipulate the values to find a solution.

How do I input an equation into Excel?

To input an equation into Excel, you can use the "=" sign to indicate that you are entering a formula. You can also use cell references, mathematical operators, and functions to create more complex equations.

Can Excel solve all types of equations?

No, Excel is limited to solving linear and non-linear equations with a single variable. It cannot solve equations with multiple variables or equations involving trigonometric or exponential functions.

How do I use Excel to solve an equation with multiple solutions?

If an equation has multiple solutions, Excel will only give you one solution. To find the other solutions, you can use the "Goal Seek" function to set a specific cell to a desired value, and Excel will find the corresponding value of the variable in your equation.

Is it possible to graph the solution of an equation in Excel?

Yes, Excel has a built-in graphing feature that allows you to plot the solution of an equation. You can also use the "What-If Analysis" tool to see how changing the values of variables in your equation affects the solution and the graph.