Can Euler's Method Solve Higher Order Sums in the Basel Problem?

• Thread starter Parmenides
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of analytically solving sums such as \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2} and \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^4}, which are related to the Riemann Zeta Function. It is mentioned that there are rigorous proofs for these solutions, including through complex analysis and Fourier analysis. References for further reading are also provided.
Parmenides
Hello,

In several courses now, I have seen the following:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{{\pi}^2}{6}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^4} = \frac{{\pi}^4}{90}[/tex]

and so forth. While I know that these are related to the Riemann Zeta Function for even powers of n, I was wondering if there was a way to analytically solve these sorts of sums, without recourse to it. Is it possible to extend Euler's method of solving the Basel Problem to higher orders of even n (expanding the sine series, collecting the roots, and equating terms)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Euler's argument was very nonrigorous. It worked, but he failed to prove most of the argument.

That said, there are analytic solutions of the series you mention and there are rigorous proofs. One of those proofs is through complex analysis and the residue theorem. Another proofs is through Fourier analysis. I'm sure there are many others. The analytic solution of your series can be found on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_zeta_function#Specific_values

So,

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{n^s}= (-1)^{s+1}\frac{B_{2s}(2\pi)^{2s}}{2(2s)!}[/tex]

For the proof, I will have to refer you to textbooks. I know "Complex Analysis" by Freitag and Busam is an excellent text which contains the proof as an application of the residue theorem. I'm sure others can give other good references.

This result is also proved without any complex analysis in Courant and John, Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Vol. I, in the chapter on trigonometric series.

Related to Can Euler's Method Solve Higher Order Sums in the Basel Problem?

What is the Basel Problem?

The Basel Problem, also known as the Basel Summation or the Basel Integral, is a mathematical problem first proposed by Pietro Mengoli in 1644 and solved by Leonhard Euler in 1734. It involves finding the exact value of the sum of the reciprocals of the squares of all positive integers.

Why is the Basel Problem important?

The Basel Problem is important because it was one of the earliest examples of a problem that was solved using techniques of calculus. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics such as number theory, complex analysis, and algebraic geometry.

What is the current status of the Basel Problem?

The Basel Problem has been solved by Leonhard Euler, who proved that the sum of the reciprocals of the squares of all positive integers is equal to π2/6. However, there have been extensions and generalizations of the problem that are still being explored by mathematicians.

What are some proposed extensions to the Basel Problem?

Some proposed extensions to the Basel Problem include finding the exact value of the sum of the reciprocals of the n-th powers of all positive integers, or finding the sum of the reciprocals of the squares of all positive integers raised to a power of s. These extensions have been solved for certain values of n and s, but are still open for others.

What are some applications of the Basel Problem?

The Basel Problem has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It has been used to evaluate infinite series, approximate integrals, and model oscillatory systems. It has also been studied in relation to the Riemann zeta function and the distribution of prime numbers.