Can Euler's Formula Connect Sine Waves and Phasors in AC Circuits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of phasors and how they can be used to rewrite the current equation ##I = I_0\sin{\omega t}## as ##I = I_0 e^{i\omega t}##. This is possible because of Euler's formula, which states that a rotating vector can be represented by the complex exponential function. The conversation also clarifies that while the left hand side of the equation is correct, the right hand side is not equal to ##I = I_0\sin{\omega t}##, but rather follows a projection on the imaginary axis, representing the sine function.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Prove that current ##I = I_0\sin{\omega t}## can be rewritten as ##I = I_0 e^{i\omega t}##

Homework Equations

Euler's formula ##re^{i\theta} = r(\cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta})##

The Attempt at a Solution

If ##r = I_0## and ##\theta = \omega t ## then ##re^{i\theta} = r(\cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta}) ## will be ##I = I_0e^{i\omega t} = I_0(\cos{\omega t}+i\sin{\omega t})##. The left hand side ##I = I_0 e^{i\omega t}## is correct, but the right hand side is not equal to ##I = I_0\sin{\omega t}##
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you're looking at is the introduction of phasors to your toolkit. As you have spotted, eiωt is not formally congruent to sinωt. However, if one considers a phasor to be a rotating vector (a vector that rotates in direction around the origin with a constant angular frequency ω), then a projection of that vector on the imaginary axis does indeed follow sinωt. Similarly, its projection on the real axis follows cosωt. Now, eiωt can be considered to be a rotating vector, as t is a time variable. So, for example,##I_0 e^{i\omega t}## would be a phasor of magnitude ##I_0## rotating at a rate of ##\omega## radians per second.

Typically (but not always) all the phasors in a given circuit have the same angular frequency, and the convention is to drop the common ##e^{i \omega t}## from the notation. Declare that ##I## is a phasor and the ##e^{i \omega t}## is implied.

Does that help?

Related to Can Euler's Formula Connect Sine Waves and Phasors in AC Circuits?

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that alternates in direction and magnitude. This means that the flow of electricity changes direction and amplitude over time, usually in a sinusoidal pattern. These circuits are commonly used in household and industrial applications.

2. How does an AC circuit differ from a DC circuit?

In a DC circuit, the flow of electricity is constant and only travels in one direction. In contrast, an AC circuit's flow of electricity changes direction and magnitude, making it more suitable for long-distance transmission and powering devices that require a varying current.

3. What is the frequency of an AC circuit?

The frequency of an AC circuit refers to the number of cycles per second that the current alternates. It is measured in Hertz (Hz), with one Hz being equal to one cycle per second. In most households, the frequency of the AC circuit is 60 Hz.

4. How is power calculated in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, power is calculated using the formula P=VIcos(θ), where P is power, V is voltage, I is current, and θ is the phase angle between the voltage and current. This means that in order to calculate power, you need to know both the voltage and current in the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of AC circuits?

AC circuits have a wide range of applications in daily life, including powering household appliances, lighting, and electric motors. They are also used in industrial applications for powering machinery and in the generation and transmission of electrical energy. Additionally, AC circuits are used in electronic devices such as computers and televisions.