Can equilibrium rate constant has unit of [time^-1]?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem regarding a short-lived unstable state in equilibrium with two other states. The equilibrium rate constants for this reaction have units of [time]^-1. The question is posed to find the mean lifetime of the state A and a discussion ensues about the units of equilibrium rate constants for non-elementary reactions. The conversation also touches on the kinetics of the reaction and the units of the rate constant kAB.
ggyyzdq
Hi all,
I am having a homework problem that is statement really bothers me and I think it might be a typo.
It goes in the following:

Homework Statement

A is a short life unstable state and it is in equilibrium with B and C.
A[itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex]B
A[itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex]C

The equilibrium rate constants are K[itex]_{AB}[/itex]and K[itex]_{AC}[/itex] with units [time]^-1.

Question: what is the mean lifetime of the state A?Is this making sense?? Even for non-elementary reactions the equilibrium rate constants can only have the dimension of concentration. So I really don't know how the [time]^-1 came from.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your statement:"Even for non-elementary reactions the equilibrium rate constants can only have the dimension of concentration." is wrong. see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_constant#Units
R ⇌ P ⟺ Keq = [P] ÷ [R] (at equilibrium) ⟺ Moles/L ÷ Moles/L ( or P/V ÷ P/V for gas phase...)
as long as there are as many product molecules (product species) as reactants, you will have [P]ⁿ/[R]ⁿ which will result in (Moles/L ÷ Moles/L)ⁿ which is unitless.
The rate of reaction of species X is, of course, d[X]/dt.

ggyyzdq said:
Hi all,
I am having a homework problem that is statement really bothers me and I think it might be a typo.
It goes in the following:

Homework Statement

A is a short life unstable state and it is in equilibrium with B and C.
A[itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex]B
A[itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex]C

The equilibrium rate constants are K[itex]_{AB}[/itex]and K[itex]_{AC}[/itex] with units [time]^-1.

Question: what is the mean lifetime of the state A?

Is this making sense?? Even for non-elementary reactions the equilibrium rate constants can only have the dimension of concentration. So I really don't know how the [time]^-1 came from.
If the kinetics of the reaction from A to B are described by

[tex]\frac{dB}{dt}=-\frac{dA}{dt}=k_{AB}A[/tex]

what you assess the units of the rate constant kAB to be?

Chet

Related to Can equilibrium rate constant has unit of [time^-1]?

What is the equilibrium rate constant?

The equilibrium rate constant, also known as the equilibrium constant, is a value that represents the ratio of the concentration of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is a measure of how far a reaction will proceed in the forward direction.

Can the equilibrium rate constant have a unit of [time^-1]?

Yes, the equilibrium rate constant can have a unit of [time^-1]. This unit is commonly used for first-order reactions, where the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of the reactant. In this case, the equilibrium rate constant represents the rate of the forward reaction and is often denoted as k.

How is the equilibrium rate constant calculated?

The equilibrium rate constant is calculated by dividing the rate constant of the forward reaction by the rate constant of the reverse reaction. This can also be represented as the ratio of the concentration of products to the concentration of reactants at equilibrium.

What factors can affect the equilibrium rate constant?

The equilibrium rate constant is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of a catalyst. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium of a reaction, resulting in a different equilibrium rate constant.

What is the significance of the equilibrium rate constant?

The equilibrium rate constant is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of chemical reactions. It helps to determine the direction and extent of a reaction at equilibrium and is used in various calculations related to reaction kinetics and thermodynamics.