Can e+e- collisions produce e+e- pairs through two-photon processes?

In summary, gamma-gamma collision is a possible way to make an electron-positron pair, although it is not very likely yet.
Monitor16807
Hi, I don't think I understand why antimatter annihilates when it touches matter, should I picture has it as if it was a wave that canceled an other one?

Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best answer is probably because it can!
For two particles to be able to annihilate each other you have to be able to balance all the conserved quantities (charge, spin, momentum ) this is only possible if one of the particles is the anti-particle of the other.

Well while I'm here I might ask.

I read that 1 electron and 1 positron annihilate to make a gamma ray of 512 Mev, can you take a gamma rays of 512 Mev and make 1 electron and 1 positron?

You need to make a pair of gamma rays to balance the momentum - but yes you can collide two gamma rays and create an electron-positron pair.
ps. An electron is 511 KeV ( or 0.511MeV )

mgb_phys said:
You need to make a pair of gamma rays to balance the momentum - but yes you can collide two gamma rays and create an electron-positron pair.

Actually, gamma-gamma collision is not very likely yet (very small cross-section), and so far, we haven't produced any e-p pair that way.

Zz.

Ok, mere mortals can't but the universe can.

ZapperZ said:
Actually, gamma-gamma collision is not very likely yet (very small cross-section), and so far, we haven't produced any e-p pair that way.

I'm not so sure that's true. There are what are called two-photon processes in e+e- collisions. What happens is that the electron and positron beams get near each other, and each beam feels an acceleration from the other, and radiates a photon: these photons can then interact and produce anything that couples to the photon: including an e+e- pairs. In a sense, you use the electrons to "carry the photons around" pre-collision.

So the process would be [tex]e^+ + e^- \rightarrow e^+ + e^- + \gamma + \gamma \rightarrow e^+ + e^- + e^+ + e^- [/tex].

Related to Can e+e- collisions produce e+e- pairs through two-photon processes?

What is antimatter annihilation?

Antimatter annihilation is a process in which a particle and its corresponding antiparticle come into contact and are destroyed, releasing a large amount of energy.

How is antimatter annihilation different from regular matter annihilation?

The main difference is that when matter and antimatter annihilate, they release pure energy in the form of gamma rays, while regular matter annihilation produces a mix of energy and particles.

What is the significance of antimatter annihilation in scientific research?

Antimatter annihilation is important in understanding the fundamental laws of physics and the origins of the universe. It also has potential applications in energy production and medical imaging.

Can antimatter annihilation be harnessed as a source of energy?

Yes, antimatter annihilation has the potential to produce vast amounts of energy. However, the technology and resources needed to create and contain antimatter make it currently impractical for use as an energy source.

Is antimatter annihilation dangerous?

Antimatter annihilation only occurs when matter and antimatter come into contact, so it is not a threat to our everyday lives. However, if a large amount of antimatter were to be created and released, it could potentially have devastating effects on its surroundings.