Can Dropping Glass on the Floor Cause Spalling and Ejection of Particles?

• B
  • Thread starter mollyhudson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of glass particles being propelled upward and onto someone's clothes after a jar of eye cream is dropped and shattered. The likelihood of this happening is determined to be low, especially if the jar contained cream or another substance. The person involved has no intention of using this incident for a lawsuit, but is seeking reassurance and logical reasoning to calm their anxiety. The conversation ends with a statement about the difference in behavior of a jar filled with different substances, based on personal experimentation.
mollyhudson
I was at the store today and the clerk helping me dropped a jar of eye cream on the ground a few feet away from me. It was quite shattered. I could hear the glass continue to travel outward along the floor (and see the fallout when I looked down), but I'm wondering if the force of the fall/break could send the glass upward as well. In other words, could the glass pieces be propelled upward and over to have landed on my jeans, jacket, etc.? Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The cream most likely would keep that from happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you are digging for dirt to use in a lawsuit.

Yes, particles can be ejected upward when glass breaks. How many, how tiny and how far up are difficult questions to answer, but my guess is not enough to make a case for your injury in a lawsuit. Look at this slow motion video.

Vanadium 50 said:
The cream most likely would keep thast from happening.
There can be spalling from the outside surface that ejects particles that never contacted the cream.

Likes russ_watters
Oh, I can assure you litigation never crossed my mind! Even when I've been in bonafide car accidents that have caused injury and not been my fault, I haven't asked for a dime. Rather, I have OCD and tend to obsess/panic/worry over things like this. Broken glass in particular is a big trigger for me. I'm trying to use logic, reason, and science to get myself to calm down and thought you all might be able to lend an expert opinion. Thanks!

mollyhudson said:
Oh, I can assure you litigation never crossed my mind! Even when I've been in bonafide car accidents that have caused injury and not been my fault, I haven't asked for a dime.
Thanks for clarifying that, and Welcome to the PF.

I'm glad that you weren't hurt by flying glass, and your clothes were not stained. Must have made a mess! :smile:

anorlunda said:
There can be spalling from the outside surface that ejects particles that never contacted the cream.

There can. Nonetheless there is a huge difference in behavior between an empty jar, a jar full of water, and a jar full of cream or peanut butter. I know this through experiment. :smile:

Related to Can Dropping Glass on the Floor Cause Spalling and Ejection of Particles?

1. What causes glass to break when dropped on the floor?

Glass breaks when dropped on the floor because of the force of impact. When glass hits a hard surface, the force causes it to crack and shatter.

2. Why does glass sometimes break into large pieces and other times into small shards?

The size of the glass pieces after breaking depends on the type of glass and the force of the impact. Tempered glass, for example, is designed to break into small, less dangerous shards. Regular glass may break into larger, more jagged pieces.

3. Is there a safe way to drop glass on the floor without it breaking?

No, there is no guaranteed safe way to drop glass on the floor without it breaking. However, certain types of glass, such as laminated glass, are more resistant to breaking and may be less likely to shatter when dropped.

4. Can glass be recycled if it breaks on the floor?

Yes, glass can still be recycled even if it breaks on the floor. Broken glass can be collected and melted down to create new glass products.

5. How can I safely clean up broken glass on the floor?

To safely clean up broken glass on the floor, first, put on gloves to protect your hands. Then, use a broom and dustpan to sweep up the larger pieces. Next, use a damp paper towel or cloth to pick up any smaller shards. Dispose of all glass pieces in a puncture-proof container and clean the area with a wet cloth to pick up any remaining fragments.