Can DIY Photon Entanglement Be Achieved at Home?

• Thread starter Brainguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of entangling photons without a lab and the use of polarizers and other equipment to explore the properties of light. It is suggested that experiments with entangled photons are expensive and it would be more useful to ask about experiments that can be done with the equipment available. It is also mentioned that quantum information may require a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics and a potential experiment using a quantum eraser is suggested.
Brainguy
How do I entangle photons? INSTRUCTIONS PLS!

I know this question was already asked on the site. But I am wording this differently. I do not want the process of entanglement explained to me. I want instructions on how to do it. Is it even possible without a lab? I have mirrors for oscillation. 2 pairs of very good polarized sunglasses, and even a pair or right/left circular polarized 3D glasses. I do not have acces to a UV laser. But could buy/build one if needed. Also, what type of crystal is used? Where can I get it? Is it even worth trying the experiment? I read somewhere that 1/1000 photons split using parametric down conversion. And With only one shot per spooky pair? I expect to ruin he first one by looking at it or something. I don't know if an 11 year old kid can entangle photons and successfully send 1 of them through a polarizer, in order to measure the second one. I have no lab, no equipment. Just some sunglasses and mirrors. If anyone can help, please do! I am very interested in quantum information, and have been studying it intently for several months. Even before that. I wanted to be a physicist, yet also was interested in computer hardware; and practical math.

Physics news on Phys.org

UPDATE: It turns out beta barium borate crystals are 500 USD each, so... I don't know. I still want to know if there is an alternative to beta barium borate, because I thought it was really cool how I could polarize photons in my room with no lab. I figured it wouldn't be too hard to split a photon. though I'm not sure what I could do with an entangled singlet state besides measure it with some of my moms sunglasses. But please tell me if this is possible. Thank You.

Brainguy said:
UPDATE: It turns out beta barium borate crystals are 500 USD each, so... I don't know. I still want to know if there is an alternative to beta barium borate,
because I thought it was really cool how I could polarize photons in my room with no lab. I figured it wouldn't be too hard to split a photon. though I'm not sure what I could do with an entangled singlet state besides measure it with some of my moms sunglasses. But please tell me if this is possible. Thank You.
Experiments with entangled photons are expensive. UV laser and beta barium borate crystal is only one part of the problem.
The thing is that in entanglement experiments one detects single photons and for that you would need rather expensive single photon detectors and some electronics to do the coincidence counting.

Maybe it would be more useful to ask what experiments you can perform with polarizers you have.

Thank you so much! After my update I found that the real question was: can I even do it? I am going to use this forum more because I got such a quick answer. Just one more relevant question: is there really only 1/1000 chance you will get an entanled pair? I really had hoped not, but I still would like to know in case anyone can tell me. Thank you.

Experiments: no lab

As suggested to me I am not going to ask how to entangle photons, I am asking what quantum experiments an 11 year old kid can do with good horizontal/vertical polarized glasses, mIrrors for oscillating, left/right circular polarized 3D glasses, a normal red laser pointer, and probably any other relatively household or radioshack bought items. Please note I am an 11 yea old boy and do have some knowledge of the properties of photons. Also do not assume I know every property of photons, and every other form of quibit. Thank you!

Hello there! It's always nice to see young scientists interested in the deep mysteries of our universe. You certainly have a lot of equipment with which to explore many interesting features of light. Unfortunately, you wouldn't see quantum effects; everything you can do with the stuff you have will pretty much be classical -- so no photons. But not a problem at all.

With polarized glasses, you can investigate the two degrees of freedom light has.
With the laser pointer, and a couple of razor blades stuck together, you can explore the wave nature of light, and investigate the fascinating phenomenon of diffraction.

I don't have much more time to go into detail on how to set up these experiments; I hope some others here will.

 I was hoping quantum information was more of a practical thing, not just equations on paper. I have been able to oscillate photons from a lamp and then send them through polarizers. Does this forum even cover quantum information? Do I need to learn quantum mechanics first? If so I would have to hire a tutor or something because I do NOT get blackbody equations And uncertainty principles. *sigh* 

Thanks, I'll try that.

Related to Can DIY Photon Entanglement Be Achieved at Home?

1. How do I entangle photons?

Entangling photons involves creating two photons that are linked in a way that their quantum states are correlated, even when separated by great distances. This can be achieved through various methods such as spontaneous parametric down-conversion or two-photon interference.

2. What equipment do I need to entangle photons?

In order to entangle photons, you will need a source of photons, such as a laser, and equipment to manipulate their quantum states, such as polarizers and beam splitters. You will also need detectors to measure the photons' states and confirm their entanglement.

3. Is entangling photons difficult?

Entangling photons requires a high level of technical expertise and specialized equipment. It is a complex process that requires precise manipulation of quantum states, so it can be challenging for those without a background in quantum physics.

4. What are the potential applications of entangled photons?

Entangled photons have many potential applications in fields such as quantum communication, quantum computing, and quantum sensing. They can also be used to study fundamental aspects of quantum mechanics and test theories such as entanglement swapping and quantum teleportation.

5. Are there any risks associated with entangling photons?

There are no known risks associated with entangling photons. However, as with any quantum experiment, there is always a risk of experimental error or equipment malfunction. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and handle equipment carefully to avoid any potential hazards.