Can detailed balance pricinple(DBP) be derived or is it an axiom?

In summary, the principle of detailed balance is an axiom in statistical mechanics that is based on the assumption of time-reversal symmetry and only holds when a system is in equilibrium.
kof9595995
In my statistical mechanics class, my prof derived DBP in the following way:
Consider a system with many quantum states |a>, |b>..., keep scattering with each other and in equilibrium the master equation give us :
[tex]\frac{{d{P_k}}}{{dt}} = \sum\limits_{l \ne k} {{T_{kl}}} {P_l} - {T_{lk}}{P_k} = 0[/tex]
(I adopt the notation from wiki, Pk is the probability for the system to be in the state |k>, Tkl is the transition rate from |k> to |l>)
And Tkl is governed by fermi golden rule
[tex]{T_{kl}} = \frac{{2\pi }}{\hbar }{\rho _0}| < k|{H_I}|l > {|^2}[/tex]
[tex]{H_I}[/tex] is the interaction Hamiltonian.
Then he said Tkl=Tlk, and they're time-dependent because [tex]{H_I}[/tex] is time-dependent. Then [tex]\sum\limits_{l \ne k} {{T_{kl}}} (t){P_l} - {T_{lk}}(t){P_k} = 0[/tex] requires Tlk*Pk=Tkl*Pl, thus the detailed balance principle.
But from what I read from several resources, they seem to treat DBP as something like an axiom(though it's not addressed explicitly). So I'm quite skeptical about what I learned in class, can some one clarify for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The principle of detailed balance is indeed an axiom in statistical mechanics, and it is based on the assumption of time-reversal symmetry. This means that if a system is in equilibrium, then it will remain in equilibrium regardless of whether time flows forward or backward. In other words, the probability of a transition from state |k> to |l> must be equal to the probability of the reverse transition from state |l> to |k>. This is what your professor was trying to explain with his derivation. However, it is important to note that the detailed balance principle only holds when the system is in equilibrium. It does not necessarily hold for systems that are out of equilibrium.

Related to Can detailed balance pricinple(DBP) be derived or is it an axiom?

1. What is the detailed balance principle?

The detailed balance principle (DBP) is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics that states that in a system at equilibrium, the rate of forward and reverse processes must be equal.

2. Is the detailed balance principle an axiom or can it be derived?

The detailed balance principle is considered an axiom, meaning it is a self-evident truth that serves as a starting point for further reasoning. It cannot be derived from other principles or laws.

3. How is the detailed balance principle used in scientific research?

The detailed balance principle is a fundamental principle used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of systems at equilibrium, and is also used in the development of new theories and models.

4. Can the detailed balance principle be violated?

Under certain conditions, the detailed balance principle can be violated, leading to non-equilibrium behavior. This is often observed in systems that are far from equilibrium or in systems with complex interactions.

5. What are some real-world applications of the detailed balance principle?

The detailed balance principle has various applications in different fields. In physics, it is used to understand the behavior of particles in gases and liquids. In chemistry, it is applied in chemical reactions and kinetics. In biology, it is used to study cellular processes and metabolic pathways. It also has applications in engineering, such as in the design of heat engines and refrigeration systems.