Can Conservation of Energy Alone Solve Momentum Problems?

In summary, the two objects had the same momentum before the collision, and after the collision, the momentum of the moving object was halved.
aa_o

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-12_14-53-53.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum:
m1*v1 + m2*v2 = k
Conservation of mech. energy
1/2 * m * v^2 + m * g * h = k

The Attempt at a Solution

Why can't i just use conservation of energy to solve this one?
I know that the bullet contains all the kinetic energy before hitting:
K.E = 1/2 * m_b * v_b^2
After hitting we can observe the amplitude of the swing (where kinetic energy is 0 and write):
P.E = (m_b + m_p) * g * h
Where h is the height above the initial position, given by:
h = L * (1 - cos(x))
Solving for v_b we get:
v_b = sqrt[2*(M + m) / m * g * L * (1-cos(x))]

The 'well known' solution to this problem solved with conservation of both energy and yields this solution:
v_b = 2*(M + m) / m * sqrt[g * L * (1-cos(x))]

Which of my assumptions are wrong?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_14-53-51.png
    upload_2017-12-12_14-53-51.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 427
  • upload_2017-12-12_14-53-53.png
    upload_2017-12-12_14-53-53.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 706
Physics news on Phys.org
aa_o said:
Conservation of mech. energy
Is the answer to your question -- as you probably know.
You can calculate the loss of energy from the correct solution and now my question is: where did it go ?

Likes aa_o
BvU said:
Is the answer to your question -- as you probably know.
You can calculate the loss of energy from the correct solution and now my question is: where did it go ?
It went to making a hole in the pendulum and generating heat in the form of friction?

You got it ! deformation of the bullet, and so on.

Compare coins sliding on a table: shoot with one coin at another of the same size. The one moving stops altogether and the other one shoots off at the same speed. Energy and momentum conserved.
With a drop of glue (or two disc magnets) momentum conservation forces the double mass at half the original speed, so ##{1\over 2} mv^2## halves.

There's a lot of discussion on this under Newton's cradle (with or without scholar). Also check out Gauss gun

Likes aa_o

Related to Can Conservation of Energy Alone Solve Momentum Problems?

What is Feynman Exercise 10-10?

Feynman Exercise 10-10 is a problem-solving exercise created by physicist Richard Feynman to help improve critical thinking skills and understanding of complex concepts. It involves breaking down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using analogy and visualization to find a solution.

How do I do Feynman Exercise 10-10?

To do Feynman Exercise 10-10, choose a complex problem or concept and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Write down what you already know about each part and then use analogy and visualization to come up with new ideas and connections. Keep breaking down and exploring each part until you have a better understanding of the problem or concept.

What are the benefits of doing Feynman Exercise 10-10?

Feynman Exercise 10-10 can help improve critical thinking skills, enhance understanding of complex concepts, and encourage creative problem-solving. It also promotes better retention of information and can be applied to various fields and subjects.

Can anyone do Feynman Exercise 10-10?

Yes, anyone can do Feynman Exercise 10-10. It is a useful exercise for students, scientists, and anyone looking to improve their critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. It can be applied to various fields and subjects, making it accessible to people with different backgrounds and interests.

Are there any tips for effectively doing Feynman Exercise 10-10?

Some tips for effectively doing Feynman Exercise 10-10 include choosing a problem or concept that interests you, breaking it down into smaller parts that you can understand, using analogy and visualization techniques, and discussing your ideas with others. It's also important to be open-minded and persistent in exploring different connections and ideas.