Can Complex Equations Be Solved Using Software?

In summary, the given equation is (2+5i)/(x-y)-(1-3i)/(x+y)=-7x+12i/y(square)+x(square). The result is x=-5/14 y=-1/14. To solve this equation, you can use software such as Mathematica, Maple, Matlab, or WolframAlpha. If you want to solve it by hand, you can combine the fractions on the left hand side into a single fraction and then express the whole equation with a single denominator. You may need to revise adding and subtracting fractions and how to deal with complex numbers. The solution may involve some work but it is a routine problem.
lorik

Homework Statement

(2+5i)/(x-y)-(1-3i)/(x+y)=-7x+12i/y(square)+x(square)

Homework Equations

I only know the result to be x=-5/14 y=-1/14

The Attempt at a Solution

If you could only lead on how to proceed I would be grateful
Xbtw is there any software that could solve the above equation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica would solve that sort of equation just fine. So would Maple and Matlab for that matter. www.wolframalpha.com would also suffice. As for solving it by hand, I don't see any clear way to do it without a whole lot of work.

On the left hand side express as a single fraction, which involves multiplying the denominators, which gives denominator (x2 - y2), unfortunately not quite the same as a denominator appearing on the right-hand side - and I wonder whether you have transcribed it properly, whether it is not really 12i/(y2 + x2). If it is that, you can combine those two bits into (something)/(x4 - y4). Whether it's that or really ...+ 12i/y2 +... still combine into one fraction. In the end express the whole thing with a single denominator. Numerator = 0 gives you solutions but watch out whether enumerator and denominator have common factor which=0 is not a solution of problem.

You being stuck suggests you probably need to revise adding/subtracting fractions, you may need to revise how to deal with expressions with complex numbers - here nothing needed except work like with real numbers but just whenever you get i2 it becomes -1.

I haven't done it and don't know whether any significant simplifications come up; it is some work but a quite routine problem.

Related to Can Complex Equations Be Solved Using Software?

What is the process for solving a complex equation?

The process for solving a complex equation involves breaking it down into smaller, simpler equations, using algebraic manipulation and operations to isolate the variable, and then checking the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

How do I know if my solution to a complex equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and see if the solution is a point on the graph.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving complex equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving complex equations include incorrectly distributing negative signs, forgetting to combine like terms, and making errors when applying the order of operations.

What should I do if I encounter a complex equation that I am unable to solve?

If you encounter a complex equation that you are unable to solve, you can try breaking it down into smaller equations, seeking help from a teacher or tutor, or using tools such as a graphing calculator to assist you.

What strategies can I use to make solving complex equations easier?

Some strategies for making solving complex equations easier include practicing basic algebraic manipulation, checking your work as you go, and breaking the equation down into smaller parts if necessary.