Can Complex Equations Be Solved More Efficiently?

In summary, $x=\pm 1$ are solutions, $x=\pm 7,~\pm 9,~\pm 23,~\pm 25,\cdots$ are solutions, and $x=\pm 1$ is not a solution.
Markov2
Solve ${{\left( \dfrac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}} \right)}^{x}}+{{\left( \dfrac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}} \right)}^{x}}=\sqrt{2}.$

Is there a faster way to solve this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Markov said:
Solve ${{\left( \dfrac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}} \right)}^{x}}+{{\left( \dfrac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}} \right)}^{x}}=\sqrt{2}.$

Is there a faster way to solve this?

You can check that $e^{\pi i/4} = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} + i \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$ and $e^{-\pi i/4} = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} - i \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$.

Therefore, the equation becomes,
$$ e^{ \pi i x/4} + e^{-\pi i x/4} = \sqrt{2} \implies \cos \left( \frac{\pi i x}{4} \right) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} $$

Do you see how we got that?

Oh yes, you just used Euler's formula, so the solutions are $\dfrac{\pi }{4}ix = \dfrac{\pi }{4} \pm 2k\pi ,{\text{ }}k \in \mathbb{Z}$ and $\dfrac{\pi }{4}ix = \dfrac{{7\pi }}{4} \pm 2k\pi ,{\text{ }}k \in \mathbb{Z},$ are those correct?

Thanks for the help!

Markov said:
Oh yes, you just used Euler's formula, so the solutions are $\dfrac{\pi }{4}ix = \dfrac{\pi }{4} \pm 2k\pi ,{\text{ }}k \in \mathbb{Z}$ and $\dfrac{\pi }{4}ix = \dfrac{{7\pi }}{4} \pm 2k\pi ,{\text{ }}k \in \mathbb{Z},$ are those correct?

Thanks for the help!

Careful, those are not all of the solutions? Because $\cos -\frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$ also!

Oh yes! So the we have these sets also: $ - \displaystyle\frac{\pi }{4}ix = \frac{\pi }{4} \pm 2k\pi ,{\text{ }}k \in \mathbb{Z},{\text{ }} - \frac{\pi }{4}ix = \frac{{7\pi }}{4} \pm 2k\pi ,{\text{ }}k \in \mathbb{Z},$

Markov said:
I am a bit confused by the replies.
It clear that $x=\pm 1$ are solutions.
Was $x$ suppose to be complex also?

Moreover $\exp(i\theta)+\exp(-i\theta)=2\cos(\theta)$ not $2\cos(i\theta)$.

No, $x$ is supposed to be real, thanks for the catch Plato!

Markov said:
No, $x$ is supposed to be real, thanks for the catch Plato!
Then might look at $x=\pm 7,~\pm 9,~\pm 23,~\pm 25,\cdots$.
What is going on?

Mmm you mean would have to rephrase the condition for $x$ ?

What are the solutions then? Do we have to reformule the problem?

Related to Can Complex Equations Be Solved More Efficiently?

What is a complex equation?

A complex equation is a mathematical expression that contains both real and imaginary numbers. It is typically in the form of a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

What is the purpose of solving complex equations?

The purpose of solving complex equations is to find the values of the variables that make the equation true. This can help solve problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

How do you solve a complex equation?

To solve a complex equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and simplify the other side. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as complex number operations such as conjugation and multiplication by the complex conjugate.

What are the common methods for solving complex equations?

The common methods for solving complex equations include substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods can be used for both linear and quadratic complex equations.

What are the applications of complex equations?

Complex equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as electrical engineering, signal processing, quantum mechanics, and control theory. They are also used in solving problems involving alternating currents, oscillatory motion, and resonance.