Can Complex Equation |z|=1 Be Proven for 11z^10+10iz^9+10iz-11=0?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that |z|=1 for the given complex equation, we can use mathematical techniques such as substitution, factoring, and manipulation of the equation. This is significant because it shows that all solutions for z are part of the unit circle in the complex plane. Other methods such as geometric methods and the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra can also be used. It is important to prove |z|=1 for this equation as it helps us understand the behavior of complex numbers and their solutions, has applications in various fields, and serves as a fundamental concept in the study of complex analysis.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Prove that if $11z^{10}+10iz^9+10iz-11=0$, then ${\left| z \right|}=1$.

(Here $z$ is a complex number and $i^2=-1$)

-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to the following members for their correct solution:):

1. Olinguito
2. Opalg

Solution from Opalg:
If $11z^{10}+10iz^9+10iz-11=0$ then $z^9(11z + 10i) + (10iz - 11) = 0$, or $$z^9 = \frac{11 - 10iz}{11z + 10i}.$$ Define a function $f$ by $f(z) = \frac{11 - 10iz}{11z + 10i}.$ If $w = f(z)$ then $w(11z + 10i) = 11 - 10iz$, so that $11zw + 10i(z+w) - 11 = 0.$ That relation is symmetric in $z$ and $w$, so that if $w=f(z)$ then $z = f(w)$. Thus the function $f$ is its own inverse. In particular, $f$ maps the complex plane (or more accurately the Riemann sphere) onto itself.

The function $f$ is a Möbius transformation, and it has the additional property that if $|z|=1$ then $|f(z)| = 1$. To see that, notice that if $|z|=1$ then (because a number and its complex conjugate have the same absolute value) $$|11 - 10iz| = |11 + 10i\overline{z}| = |z||11 + 10i\overline{z}| = |11z + 10iz\overline{z}| = |11z + 10i|,$$ so that $$|f(z)| = \left|\frac{11 - 10iz}{11z + 10i}\right| = \frac{|11 - 10iz|}{|11z + 10i|} = 1.$$ That fact, together with the fact that $f$ is its own inverse, says that $f$ maps the unit circle onto itself.

Next, $f(0) = \frac{11}{10i}$, which is a point outside the unit circle. If $z$ is any point inside the unit circle, there is a continuous path from $0$ to $z$ that does not cross the unit circle. The image of that path under the continuous mapping $f$ is a continuous path from $\frac{11}{10i}$ to $f(z)$ that does not cross the unit circle. Therefore $f(z)$ must lie outside the unit circle. In other words, if $|z|<1$ then $|f(z)|>1$. By the symmetry between $f$ and its inverse, the converse is also true: if $|z|>1$ then $|f(z)|<1$.

But if $|z|<1$ then $|z^9|<1$; and if $|z|>1$ then $|z^9|>1$. So the equation $f(z) = z^9$ cannot hold if $|z|<1$ or if $|z|>1$. Therefore all the solutions of the equation $f(z) = z^9$ must satisfy $|z|=1.$

Related to Can Complex Equation |z|=1 Be Proven for 11z^10+10iz^9+10iz-11=0?

1. How do you prove that |z|=1 for the given complex equation?

In order to prove that |z|=1, we need to show that the absolute value of z is equal to 1 for all possible values of z that satisfy the given equation. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as substitution, factoring, and manipulation of the equation to isolate the absolute value of z.

2. What is the significance of proving |z|=1 for this complex equation?

The equation 11z^10+10iz^9+10iz-11=0 is a special case known as a monic polynomial, which simplifies to 11z^10+10iz^9+10iz-11=0. By proving that |z|=1 for this equation, we are able to show that all solutions for z are part of the unit circle in the complex plane.

3. Can you provide a step-by-step explanation of how to prove |z|=1 for the given equation?

Yes, the proof involves substituting z with a complex number of the form a+bi, where a and b are real numbers, and then using algebraic techniques to simplify the equation and isolate the absolute value of z. This process may involve factoring, manipulating terms, and using properties of complex numbers such as conjugates.

4. Are there any other methods for proving |z|=1 for the given complex equation?

Yes, there are other approaches that can be used to prove |z|=1 for this equation. For example, we can use geometric methods by representing the equation graphically on the complex plane and showing that all solutions lie on the unit circle. Another method is to use the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex roots, to show that all solutions lie on the unit circle.

5. Why is it important to prove |z|=1 for this complex equation?

Proving |z|=1 for this equation is important as it helps us understand the behavior of complex numbers and their solutions. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science where complex numbers are used to model and solve real-world problems. Additionally, it serves as a fundamental concept in the study of complex analysis and can lead to further insights and discoveries in the field of mathematics.