Can Commercially Available Spark Gaps Meet High Power Reliability Standards?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of longevity and reliability experiments in high power spark gaps. The individual is looking for information on the erosion factor and fouling rate of various configurations, but is unsure if the manufacturer will have the data for their specific configuration. They mention considering constructing the gaps themselves, but also mention the option of checking out commercially available gaps. However, they do not have the time to conduct the experiments themselves.
lilrex
Anyone have a reference or information on longevity and reliability experiments in high power spark gaps?

I am looking at the reliability of a 97GW 78Kamp discharge spark gap I would like to know the erosion factor and fouling rate of different configurations.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Doesn't the manufacturer supply that reliability data?

I am not sure that they will be available for my configuration. Over all size efficiency is king in this design. So I was planning to construct them myself. However that is a good idea, I will have to check out commercially available gaps for there ratings. Otherwise I will do the tests myself and I don’t really have time for that. Thank you for your reply.

Related to Can Commercially Available Spark Gaps Meet High Power Reliability Standards?

What is a high power arc?

A high power arc is a discharge of electricity that occurs between two electrodes with a large amount of energy. It produces a bright, intense light and high levels of heat and electromagnetic radiation.

How is a high power arc created?

A high power arc is created by applying a high voltage between two electrodes with a large gap between them. As the voltage increases, it ionizes the air particles between the electrodes, creating a conductive path for electricity to flow.

What are the applications of high power arcs?

High power arcs have a variety of applications, including welding, cutting, and lighting. They are also used in research and development for studying plasma and electric discharges.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with high power arcs?

Working with high power arcs can be dangerous, so it is important to take proper safety precautions. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, ensuring proper grounding, and following safety protocols when handling high voltage equipment.

How does a spark gap affect the behavior of high power arcs?

A spark gap is a small distance between two conductors that allows an electrical current to jump across and create a spark. In high power arcs, the spark gap can affect the stability and intensity of the arc, as well as the voltage required to sustain it.