Can BEC experiments shed light on the mysteries of quantum gravity?

In summary: Unfortunately, there is currently no evidence or indication that Bose-Einstein condensates, which are large-scale quantum systems, could provide any fundamental insight into the workings of quantum gravity. While some research has been done on using BECs as analogs for black holes and related phenomena, it is not expected to provide any significant breakthroughs in understanding quantum gravity. Additionally, there are still many unanswered questions and limitations when it comes to using BECs for studying quantum gravity, as seen in various research papers and theses.
lark
Might BEC give insight into how quantum gravity works? comment?
Laura

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this what you are thinking about?:
Wikipedia said:
Vortices in Bose–Einstein condensates are also currently the subject of analogue gravity research, studying the possibility of modeling black holes and their related phenomena in such environments in the lab.

I wouldn't expect any fundamental insight on quantum gravity from bose-einstein condensates.

Torquil

No, I didn't mean analogs of black holes ...

But, something like this: http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1002/1002.2962v1.pdf

and http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0911/0911.1020v1.pdf

I was really asking whether BEC, being large scale quantum systems, might be used to test theories of quantum gravity. The above papers being an example, although I was wondering if anybody else can add more insight than can be found in a quick google search.

Laura

Last edited:
Thanks for the references; it sure is interesting! After a quick look at the BEC article, there are a couple of points I would like to raise:

Ref: http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.2962

1) There doesn't seem to be any infrared cutoff on the effect contributing to the energy shift for the compact BEC trap. Shouldn't low frequency fluctuations of the gravitational field give no contribution since they simply "move the whole experiment around"?

2) In eq.6, shouldn't there be an upper limit for the value of 'r'? Or stated differently, surely the contributions in the <hh> factor here should contain only Fourier components with wavelengths larger than the value 'r'? This should be a much more restrictive ultraviolet cutoff than the Compton wavelength cutoff used to get eq.7. Thus the prefactor <hh> should decrease as one considers larger values of 'r', and the increase in observable effect should not be as apparent when increasing the size of the BEC examples at the end of the article.

I'll appreciate any clarification here.

Torquil

Also there was a thesis by somebody in Ketterle's group http://cua.mit.edu/ketterle_group/Theses/Streed%20thesis.pdf
about BEC and quantum Zeno experiments - the "quantum zeno effect" is the suppression of transitions between quantum states by frequent measurements. He says measurements of this effect can limit string theories or quantum gravity.
I can't answer your questions, I'm a total novice on this subject. I just saw a video by Ketterle on BEC's and I wondered about testing quantum gravity with them. I really wished I could have been there to ask, especially since nobody had a question after the talk!
Laura

Related to Can BEC experiments shed light on the mysteries of quantum gravity?

What is BEC?

BEC stands for Bose-Einstein condensate. It is a state of matter that occurs when a group of bosons (particles with integer spin) are cooled to near absolute zero and condense into the same quantum state, creating a superfluid with unique properties.

What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It seeks to explain the fundamental forces of nature, including gravity, at a quantum level.

How are BEC and quantum gravity related?

BEC and quantum gravity are both fields of study within the broader realm of quantum physics. While BEC involves the behavior of particles at extremely low temperatures, quantum gravity deals with the fundamental nature of space and time at a quantum level. Some theories propose that space and time may emerge from the collective behavior of particles, similar to how a BEC forms.

What is the significance of studying BEC and quantum gravity?

Studying BEC and quantum gravity can help us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and their behavior. It also has potential practical applications, such as in the development of advanced technologies.

What are some current developments in the study of BEC and quantum gravity?

There are ongoing experiments to create BEC at higher temperatures and with different types of particles, as well as theoretical work being done to better understand the relationship between BEC and quantum gravity. Additionally, there are various proposed theories and models attempting to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity.