Can B.cereus and S. marcscens survive UV exposure?

• Thread starter zmike
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment on the UV resistance of B.cereus and S. marcescens. It was noted that B.cereus has some protection from UV radiation due to its endospores, while S. marcescens is sensitive to UV radiation. A reliable source for further research was suggested and the importance of using a pure culture for the experiment was emphasized. The possibility of equipment or procedural errors affecting the results was also mentioned.
zmike
I was doing a UV exposure experiment and after 15 min of uv light B.cereus and than S. marcscens both survived and grew.

This doesn't make sense to me b/c I thought that than S. marcscens shouldn't have any UV resistance??
B.cereus is able to make spores which I am not sure if it would protect it from UV light?

Help? or maybe point me in the direction of a reliable source?

thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
A reliable source would be your textbook and more microbio books at your library. You are right that Bacillus cereus has some protection from UV radiation by means of an endospore Serratia marcescens is very sensitive to UV radiation (as you suspected). I would double check the culture you started S. marcescens from, was pure and not contaminated. If you have the opportunity, I would start from a fresh culture from a lyophilized vial. Once satisfied, you are starting with a pure culture, I would repeat this experiment.

The equipment might be at fault rather than the culture. The germicidal power of UV lamps decrease over time and its usages. How old is the UV lamp?

Also, how do you expose your bacteria? For example, when I used to TA student expose petri dishes but often forgot to remove the plastic lid. The plastic would block the UVs.

Related to Can B.cereus and S. marcscens survive UV exposure?

1. What is B.cereus and S. marcscens?

B.cereus and S. marcscens are both types of bacteria that can be found in soil, water, and various food sources. They are commonly referred to as "environmental bacteria" due to their ability to survive and thrive in diverse environments.

2. Are B.cereus and S. marcscens harmful to humans?

While both bacteria have the potential to cause illness in humans, they are generally considered to be opportunistic pathogens, meaning they only cause infections in individuals with weakened immune systems. In healthy individuals, exposure to these bacteria typically does not result in any health issues.

3. How are B.cereus and S. marcscens transmitted?

These bacteria can be transmitted through various means, including contaminated food and water, contact with infected individuals, and exposure to contaminated surfaces or objects. Proper hygiene and food safety practices can help prevent the spread of these bacteria.

4. What are the symptoms of B.cereus and S. marcscens infections?

The symptoms of infections caused by B.cereus and S. marcscens can vary depending on the type of infection and the individual's overall health. Common symptoms may include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and fever. In more severe cases, these bacteria can cause serious infections, such as pneumonia or meningitis.

5. How can B.cereus and S. marcscens infections be treated?

If an individual develops an infection caused by B.cereus or S. marcscens, they may be treated with antibiotics. However, not all strains of these bacteria are susceptible to antibiotics, so proper testing and identification of the specific strain is necessary for effective treatment. In most cases, supportive care, such as rest and hydration, is also recommended to help the body fight off the infection.