Can b always be greater than 0?

• Thread starter Alpharup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
Thanks for pointing it out! In summary, your proof is incomplete as it does not consider the case where b is between 0 and -a. A complete proof would also need to consider this case in order to prove that b>0 always.
Alpharup
Let a>0. It is also true that a+b>0. Can we prove that b>0 always?
My attempt
b>-a... but 0>-a.

therefore min (b,0)>-a
case 1: b <0.
If, b <-a, then a <-b
so a+b <b-b
so, a+b <0.
Contradiction
Hence b>0.
Is my proof right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Alpharup said:
My attempt
b>-a... but 0>-a.

therefore min (b,0)>-a
case 1: b <0.
If, b <-a, then a <-b
so a+b <b-b
so, a+b <0.
Contradiction
Hence b>0.
Is my proof right?
No.

a=20, b=-5
a>0
a+b=15>0

But b<0.

So where is the mistake in your proof?

Alpharup said:
No.

Yeah...I get it. b>-a...and b. an be between 0 and -a

Yup, I did not consider between 0 and -a

Related to Can b always be greater than 0?

1. What is inequality?

Inequality refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and rewards among individuals or groups in a society. It can manifest in various forms, such as income inequality, education inequality, and social inequality.

2. How is inequality measured?

Inequality can be measured using various indicators, such as the Gini coefficient, which measures income distribution; the Human Development Index, which measures overall well-being; and the Gender Inequality Index, which measures gender-based disparities.

3. What are the consequences of inequality?

Inequality has numerous negative consequences, including hindering economic growth, perpetuating poverty, and creating social and political instability. It also leads to unequal access to education, healthcare, and job opportunities, and can result in social tensions and discrimination.

4. What factors contribute to inequality?

There are several factors that contribute to inequality, including historical and structural factors, such as colonialism and discrimination based on race, gender, and socio-economic status. Other factors include unequal distribution of resources, government policies, and global economic systems.

5. How can we address inequality?

There are various approaches to addressing inequality, including implementing policies that promote equal access to education, healthcare, and job opportunities. Other solutions include redistributive policies, such as progressive taxation and social welfare programs, and addressing systemic issues, such as discrimination and unequal power dynamics.