Can anyone show me the calculation to prove this?

In summary: But you can see there is a great discrepancy in the calculations. This may be due to the fact that the statement is an approximation and not meant to be taken as a precise mathematical calculation.
hyde
Please show me the calculation to prove this statement:

"...if an atom were magnified to the size of the solar system, a (super) string would be the size of a tree" http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/scale.html

I can't prove this, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Here's my work:

assume:
length of string = 10^-35 m
length of atom = 10^-10 m
length of tree = 10^0 m
length of solar system = 10^13 m

magnification from atom to solar system: 10^23 times

magnification from string to tree: 10^35 times

They don't match! Am I doing something wrong or is it the statement that's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Size of a String

You might consider that PBS as good as it is tends to do what we term Popular Science shows. Popular Science at times makes generalized statements that may or may not be fully accurate when it comes to trying to work things out by math. I would suggest that the comment was strickly giving an approximation, as often shows up in popular science books also. The math, worked out would then give you a far more accurate scale or size discription.

Planck length & string length

Originally posted by hyde
Please show me the calculation to prove this statement:

"...if an atom were magnified to the size of the solar system, a (super) string would be the size of a tree" http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/scale.html

I can't prove this, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Here's my work:

assume:
length of string = 10^-35 m
length of atom = 10^-10 m
length of tree = 10^0 m
length of solar system = 10^13 m

magnification from atom to solar system: 10^23 times

magnification from string to tree: 10^35 times

They don't match! Am I doing something wrong or is it the statement that's wrong?

You have assumed the size of a string is the Planck length ~ 10^-35 m. But that is not necessarly the case, indeed string physics does not treat the Planck length particularly but assumes continuity, and indeed analyticity in the string environment.

So maybe 10^-23 m for the string is correct.

Related to Can anyone show me the calculation to prove this?

1. What is the calculation being asked to prove?

The calculation being asked to prove is often a mathematical or scientific equation or formula. It is a set of mathematical operations or steps used to find a specific result or answer.

2. Why is it important to have a calculation to prove something?

Having a calculation to prove something provides evidence and support for a hypothesis or theory. It allows for the validation of claims and conclusions, and helps to ensure accuracy and reliability in scientific research.

3. Can anyone perform the calculation or does it require special knowledge?

The complexity of a calculation can vary, so it may require special knowledge or expertise in a particular field. However, with proper understanding and guidance, anyone can learn and perform calculations to prove something.

4. Are there specific steps or guidelines for performing the calculation?

Yes, there are specific steps or guidelines for most calculations. These can be found in scientific literature or taught in educational settings. It is important to follow these steps carefully to ensure accuracy and validity in the results.

5. How do you know if the calculation is correct?

The accuracy of a calculation can be determined by using multiple methods and techniques, such as comparing it to previous calculations, using control groups, and peer review. It is also important to double-check calculations and use precise measurements to minimize errors.