Can anyone identify this series trick?

• Thread starter Deiniol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses the manipulation of an infinite series in a thesis, where the author uses a trick involving frequencies to eventually transform the series into a form suitable for a Fourier expansion. The manipulation involves letting σr be the difference between the frequencies σ and σ' and assuming n=σ/σr to be an integer. However, this assumption may be incorrect if u1'=0. To address this issue, the author suggests using θ=σt-Φ1 and α=σrt+Φ1-Φ1' to transform the series and make it suitable for a Fourier expansion.
Deiniol
Hi there, I am reading through a thesis and the author takes the infinite series:

\begin{equation}
u(x,t)=u_0(x)+u_1(x)\cos(\sigma t - \phi_1(x)) + u_1'(x)\cos(\sigma' t - \phi'_1(x))+\ldots
\end{equation}

and by letting σr be the difference between the frequencies σ and σ' changes the above to:

\begin{equation}
u=u_0+u_1\cos(n\sigma_rt-\phi_1) + u_1'\cos([n+\beta]\sigma_rt-\phi_1')+\ldots
\end{equation}

where β=±1 and n is an integer. I don't follow the manipulation from the first equation to the other, I just wondered if anyone is familiar with this trick and might be able to talk me through it. Many thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This would be unproblematic is if ##n=\sigma/\sigma_r## is not assumed to be an integer. It seems wrong otherwise, if ##u_1'=0## for example. So either this is wrong or ##n=\sigma/\sigma_r## should be assumed to be an integer, by some reason.

Thanks for the reply Erland. The reason for the change is to eventually get u(x,t)|u(x,t)| into a form suitable for a Fourier expansion. I think that by letting θ=σt-Φ1 and α=σrt+Φ11' where σr=σ-σ' to transform (1) in the OP to:

\begin{equation}
u(x,t)=u_0+u_1\cos(\theta)+u_1'\cos(\theta-\alpha)+u_2\cos(2\theta-[\phi_2-2\phi_1])+u_2'\cos(2\theta-2\alpha-[2\phi_1'+\phi_2'-4\phi_1])+\ldots
\end{equation}

should work fine. Then u|u| can be expanded into a Fourier series of θ.

Related to Can anyone identify this series trick?

1. What is a series trick?

A series trick is a technique or method used to solve a problem or answer a question that involves a series of steps or actions.

2. How can I identify a series trick?

To identify a series trick, look for patterns, repetition, or a sequence of events. These are all indicators of a series being used to solve a problem.

3. Are there different types of series tricks?

Yes, there are different types of series tricks, such as arithmetic series, geometric series, and infinite series. Each type has its own unique characteristics and methods of solving.

4. Can anyone learn to identify a series trick?

Yes, anyone can learn to identify a series trick with practice and understanding of mathematical concepts. It's important to have a strong foundation in algebra and geometry to recognize patterns and sequences.

5. How can knowing about series tricks be useful?

Knowing about series tricks can be useful in problem-solving and critical thinking. It can also help in understanding and analyzing data, making predictions, and finding solutions to complex problems. It is a valuable skill for scientists, mathematicians, and other professionals in various fields.