Can anyone draw the Field Lines of Faraday induced electric field

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of induced electric fields when a uniform magnetic field is turned off. The group also examined the behavior of the electric field lines and their relationship to the magnetic field lines. They explored different equations and potential scenarios, such as using a scalar potential of 0 and a vector potential of (-y~f(t),x~f(t),0). The conversation concluded with a discussion on appropriate boundary conditions and the potential curling of the electric field lines around the axis of a solenoid.
AbhiFromXtraZ
Suppose there is an uniform magnetic field along z-direction. Now someone turns off the field. Then there will be an induced electric field.
Can anybody draw this induced electric field lines?
I know the electric field will curl around. But where will be the centre of that curl.
Do the electric field lines curl around the individual magnetic field lines or anything elese.
If I consider a loop of wire then I can easily answer using Flux Rule or Lenz's law.
But I want the field lines without considering any loop.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a scalar potential ##\phi=0## and a vector potential ##A=(-y~f(t),x~f(t),0)## we have:
##B=\nabla \times A = (0,0,2f)##
and
##E=-\nabla \phi-\partial A/\partial t = (y~df/dt, -x~df/dt,0)##

Last edited:
Likes AbhiFromXtraZ
Can you show me the picture of the electric field lines if the magnetic field was constant and along z-direction and suddenly turned off?

You can get the picture from the equations I posted. Use a graphing software or even do it by hand. It should only take a couple of minutes.

ok...I have to figure it out...Thanks !

This problem doesn't have an answer. An electric field:

[tex] E_x = (y-y_0) \frac {dB_z}{dt}[/tex]
[tex] E_y = -(x-x_0) \frac {dB_z}{dt} [/tex]
[tex] E_z = 0 [/tex]

will work for every x0 and y0, and this can produce any magnitude and any direction (in the xy plane) for E.

Likes AbhiFromXtraZ
Yes. I chose ##\phi=0## for convenience, but any ##\phi## would also be a solution.

willem2, I think you are missing appropriate boundary conditions. Am I right? Well, if the magnetic field was generated from a long solenoid of radius 'r' , then would the electric field curl around the axis of the solenoid?

Related to Can anyone draw the Field Lines of Faraday induced electric field

What are field lines of Faraday induced electric field?

Field lines of Faraday induced electric field are imaginary lines that represent the direction and strength of the induced electric field due to a changing magnetic field. They are used to visualize the behavior of the electric field in a given space.

Why is it important to draw the field lines of Faraday induced electric field?

Drawing the field lines helps us understand the behavior of the electric field in a given space. It allows us to visualize the strength and direction of the field, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications.

Can anyone draw the field lines of Faraday induced electric field?

Yes, anyone with a basic understanding of physics and the concept of electric fields can draw the field lines of Faraday induced electric field. However, it may require some practice and knowledge of mathematical concepts such as vector calculus.

What factors affect the shape and direction of the field lines of Faraday induced electric field?

The shape and direction of the field lines are affected by the strength and orientation of the changing magnetic field, the distance from the source of the field, and the presence of any conducting materials in the space.

How can we draw the field lines of Faraday induced electric field?

The field lines can be drawn by using mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the electric field and the changing magnetic field. These equations can be solved using various techniques, such as numerical methods or graphical methods, to plot the field lines in a given space.