Can any one help with this Fluid mechanics question please?

In summary, the question involves determining the power required to overcome viscous resistance in a bearing filled with oil. The equation used is F=μ(ωR/l)2∏RL, where μ is viscosity, ω is velocity, R is radius, and l is the difference between the bearing and shaft radii. After plugging in the values, the calculated force is 143.12N. To find the power, the torque produced by this force at 1400rpm must be calculated.
jami8337

Homework Statement

A shaft of diameter 74.9mm rotates at 1400rpm in a bearing which is of diameter 75.03 mm and 75mm in length. The annular space between the shaft and the bearing is filled with oil of viscosity 0.096 kg/ms.By assuming a uniform velocity gradient in the oil, determine the power required to overcome the viscous resistance in the bearing.

Homework Equations

F=μ(ωR/l)2∏RL

Thats the equation i have been using, where l is the difference between the radius of the outer ring and inner ring (i.e. bearing and shaft)

The Attempt at a Solution

When i plug in the values i get:
0.096* ((146.61*37.45*10^-3)/0.065*10^-3)*2∏*(37.45*10^-3)(75*10^-3)

this gives 143.12N

Presuming that this is all ok i then have no idea how to get to a power?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How much torque would this force produce on the shaft when it is turning at 1400 rpm? Once you know the torque, you can find the power.

Ah yeah thanks got the right answer :)

Related to Can any one help with this Fluid mechanics question please?

1. Can you explain the concept of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of science that deals with the study of fluids - liquids and gases - and their behavior under various conditions. It involves the application of principles of physics, mathematics, and engineering to understand how fluids flow and behave in different scenarios.

2. What is the difference between a fluid and a solid?

A fluid is a substance that can flow and take the shape of its container, while a solid has a fixed shape and volume. Unlike solids, fluids do not have a definite shape and can be easily deformed by external forces.

3. How does Bernoulli's principle apply to fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is often used to explain the lift force generated by airplane wings and the flow of fluids through pipes and nozzles. It is a fundamental concept in fluid mechanics and has numerous applications in engineering and aviation.

4. What are some common real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications, such as in the design of pumps, turbines, and engines. It is also essential in the fields of aerodynamics, hydraulics, and hydrology. Some everyday examples of fluid mechanics include the flow of water through a faucet, the movement of air over a car, and the flight of a bird.

5. How can I use fluid mechanics in my research or experiments?

Fluid mechanics is a vast field with many research areas and applications. You can use fluid mechanics in your research by studying the behavior of fluids in different situations, such as in pipes, pumps, or in the atmosphere. You can also experiment with different fluids and their properties to understand their behavior and make predictions based on principles of fluid mechanics.