Can an object ever fully reach ambient temperature in an isolated environment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an object reaching room temperature and whether it is possible for it to completely equalize with the ambient temperature. It is mentioned that according to Newton's law of heating/cooling, the temperature difference between a cold object and the room temperature decreases exponentially, but in reality, there are constant fluctuations that can affect this process. This is similar to Zeno's paradox and the concept of radioactive decay. However, it is also noted that in classical physics, there will eventually be a point where the object's temperature is equal to that of the room, taking into account fluctuations.
thetexan
I left my unopened icy cold Coke out on my desk yesterday. When I came in today it had, of course, lost it's icy edge and had achieved room temperature.

Then I asked myself...will my drink ever actually achieve room temperature or will it always be slightly colder then room temperature?

Can something cold ever finally equalize to ambient temperature if there is nothing to keep it cold?

tex

Science news on Phys.org
The temperature difference between a cold object and the room temperature decreases exponentially with time (here we assume that the heat conduction in the drink is so fast that its temperature remains uniform during the warming up), so in principle it will never become zero. You can Google "Newton's law of heating/cooling" for more information. This is a bit similar to how radioactive decay happens with some half-life.

Yeah, Zeno's paradox... :)

hilbert2 said:
The temperature difference between a cold object and the room temperature decreases exponentially with time (here we assume that the heat conduction in the drink is so fast that its temperature remains uniform during the warming up), so in principle it will never become zero.
That's a too idealistic picture. In reality, there are constant fluctuations in temperature (too small to measure, but they are still there), such that the object will reach room temperature within these fluctuations in a finite time.

Edit: In addition, Newton's law of cooling doesn't hold if the difference in temperature between two objects is of the order of these fluctuations.

Likes jbriggs444
DrClaude said:
That's a too idealistic picture. In reality, there are constant fluctuations in temperature (too small to measure, but they are still there), such that the object will reach room temperature within these fluctuations in a finite time.

Edit: In addition, Newton's law of cooling doesn't hold if the difference in temperature between two objects is of the order of these fluctuations.

I know that... Also, if one keeps observing radioactive decay of some sample, there will eventually be a time when every single nucleus has decayed, but if you put the sample in an isolated box (similar to what Schroedinger's cat is in) and start waiting without looking in the box, you will never reach a point when there is exactly zero probability for any undecayed nuclei to be left in there.

hilbert2 said:
I know that... Also, if one keeps observing radioactive decay of some sample, there will eventually be a time when every single nucleus has decayed, but if you put the sample in an isolated box (similar to what Schroedinger's cat is in) and start waiting without looking in the box, you will never reach a point when there is exactly zero probability for any undecayed nuclei to be left in there.
We're considering classical physics, not QM. There will be a point where, even theoretically ("in an isolated box"), we can say that the temperature of the object is the same as that of the room, provided we take into account fluctuations.

Likes Dale

Related to Can an object ever fully reach ambient temperature in an isolated environment?

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another. This can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

What is the difference between conduction, convection, and radiation?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects or substances. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, such as thermal radiation from the sun.

What factors affect heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, the surface area of contact, and the distance between the objects.

How is heat transfer measured and quantified?

The amount of heat transferred is measured in units of energy, such as joules or calories. The rate of heat transfer is measured in units of power, such as watts or BTUs per hour.

Why is understanding heat transfer important?

Understanding heat transfer is important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and chemistry. It is crucial for designing efficient systems, predicting and controlling temperature changes, and understanding natural phenomena such as weather patterns and climate change.