Can an Electromagnetic Wave Charge a Battery?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an electromagnetic wave at a certain frequency to create a current and charge a battery. The person asking the question is skeptical and believes that there would be no net current on the surface. They mention the need for rectifying the current to make it useful for charging a battery.
nickerst
This is a theoretical question not a homework question, so if this is the wrong section to post this in please let me know. But my friend has this idea that if he sent an electromagnetic wave at a certain frequency at a surface it could create a current and this in turn could charge a battery. Does this sound at all possible to anyone? In my opinion the EM wave would jiggle the electrons back and forth but there would be no net current on the surface so it couldn't actually have a surface current. Any ideas are encouraged. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
nickerst said:
This is a theoretical question not a homework question, so if this is the wrong section to post this in please let me know. But my friend has this idea that if he sent an electromagnetic wave at a certain frequency at a surface it could create a current and this in turn could charge a battery. Does this sound at all possible to anyone? In my opinion the EM wave would jiggle the electrons back and forth but there would be no net current on the surface so it couldn't actually have a surface current. Any ideas are encouraged. Thanks!

Your thinking is correct. To use the AC pickup current of an antenna, you would need to rectify it to get useful DC current for charging a battery or whatever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectenna

Related to Can an Electromagnetic Wave Charge a Battery?

1. What is the mechanism behind current being driven by an EM wave?

The mechanism behind current being driven by an EM wave is known as electromagnetic induction. When an EM wave passes through a conductive material, it creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces an electric field, which in turn leads to the flow of current in the material.

2. How does the frequency of an EM wave affect the current being driven?

The frequency of an EM wave directly affects the amount of current being driven. Higher frequencies result in a stronger induced electric field, which leads to a larger current being driven. This relationship is known as Faraday's Law of Induction.

3. Can the direction of current flow be controlled by an EM wave?

Yes, the direction of current flow can be controlled by the direction of the changing magnetic field in the EM wave. If the magnetic field changes in one direction, the current flow will also be in that direction. If the magnetic field changes in the opposite direction, the current flow will also reverse.

4. How is the strength of the current driven by an EM wave measured?

The strength of the current driven by an EM wave can be measured using a device called an ammeter. An ammeter measures the flow of electric current in a circuit and can give an accurate measurement of the current being driven by an EM wave.

5. What are some practical applications of current driven by EM waves?

Current driven by EM waves has many practical applications, such as in wireless charging, electromagnetic propulsion, and wireless communication. It is also used in devices such as transformers, generators, and motors. Additionally, induction heating, which uses current driven by EM waves to heat materials, is commonly used in industrial processes.