Can Alpha Emitters Cause Nearby Gasses to Glow?

In summary, alpha emitters can cause nearby gases or air to be excited and glow like Radium or Tritium. However, I don't think Americium-241 is strong enough to create a glow in materials.
Garlic
Gold Member
Hello everyone,
Can alpha emitters cause nearby (gasses or air) to be excited and glow like Radium or Tritium? Is there certain chemicals (maybe like phosphor) that are suitable for it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, radium is an alpha emitter. And does it make air glow? I think it might not. (It will glow in water)

For solids and liquids it is easy, scintillators work that way. Not sure if you find suitable gases, but I would expect them to exist.
If your source is active enough, the air starts to glow just from its temperature but then you have other problems.

I understand. Can I make a (weak) torchlight using my Am-241 piece?

I don't know what you mean with "my Am-241 piece", but certainly not.

mfb said:
I don't know what you mean with "my Am-241 piece", but certainly not.

The only radiation source I could find, I dismantled a smoke detector to get it.

What I wrote was unclear I think, I mean, there are betalight torches that use a beta radiation source (tritium for example) and phosphor. What I'm asking is, can a torch using an alpha emitter (in my case it is a really small piece of americium-with 1 mm diameter) be done? What materials should I use?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsteinium#/media/File:Einsteinium.jpg
Here it shows Einsteinium-253 in a quartz vial that glows because of the alpha radiation.

Or is Americium-241 too weak to excite materials in order to create a glow?

You do realize that you are counting on the original shield and only the original shield to protect you when handling that source. Inhaling or ingesting an alpha source is just about the worst thing you can do with it.

A smoke detector gives off about 30,000 decays per second. If you let them impinge on a phosphor in a totally dark room with dark adapted eyes, you might see something. It's very unlikely to see anything in daylight.

Radiation levels that are safe to handle are not suitable for torches. You should not work with radioactive sources without the necessary knowledge how to protect yourself from the radiation, and we won't help you with dangerous activities here.
I closed the thread.

Related to Can Alpha Emitters Cause Nearby Gasses to Glow?

1. What is Alpha Radiation Illumination?

Alpha Radiation Illumination is a form of illumination that utilizes alpha particles, which are positively charged particles emitted by radioactive materials. These particles have a short range and can only penetrate a few centimeters of air, making them ideal for use in small-scale lighting applications.

2. How is Alpha Radiation Illumination produced?

Alpha Radiation Illumination is produced by placing a radioactive material, such as radium or plutonium, inside a sealed container. The alpha particles emitted by the material interact with a phosphor coating on the container's interior, causing it to emit light.

3. Is Alpha Radiation Illumination safe?

Alpha Radiation Illumination can be safe when used in controlled and regulated environments. The alpha particles emitted by the radioactive material are unable to penetrate the skin, so as long as the container remains sealed, there is no risk of exposure.

4. What are the benefits of using Alpha Radiation Illumination?

One of the main benefits of using Alpha Radiation Illumination is its longevity. Unlike traditional light sources, which require frequent replacement, alpha particles have a half-life of several years, making them ideal for long-term lighting solutions. Additionally, alpha radiation is not affected by external conditions such as temperature or humidity, making it a reliable light source.

5. What are the potential risks associated with Alpha Radiation Illumination?

The main risk associated with Alpha Radiation Illumination is the potential for exposure to radioactive materials. This risk can be mitigated by proper handling and disposal of the radioactive material, as well as following safety guidelines and regulations. It is also important to regularly monitor the radiation levels in the environment to ensure they remain within safe limits.