Can Adding Resistors Prevent Overvoltage Damage to LEDs and Photodiodes?

• Thread starter _Bd_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary: V for his Arduinos, and has found that some of the components (such as the LEDs) have a maximum voltage of 1.5V. He's worried that running these components at 5V will cause them to burn out. He's also concerned about the Photodiodes, which have a maximum voltage of 1.3V.Dave decides to connect the LEDs, Photodiodes, and resistor together in series. He calculates that the voltage drop across the resistor will create a safe voltage for the devices.
_Bd_
So I am looking at my spec sheets, I am running most of my boards on 5V (Arduino)

There are however 5 LEDs that say can have a maximum FV of 1.5V, so I am pretty sure they will fry if I run the 5V through them, there are also 5 Photodiodes that have a 1.3 maximum FV, so they will fry as well.

What I was thinking is connecting them all to my VCC, but to add a resistor right before the actual component, which would create a voltage drop. (I am not sure if this would work though)

So I am thinking of doing this:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1894/una0.png

Now I am not sure if this will work, I tried setting that up in MultiSim, but it didnt show any voltage drop across the resistor, it kept saying the Voltage going to the PD and LED were still 5V which I really want to avoid.

I calculated this using the following:

Knowing the current and voltage for the PD

10 mA, and 5V, I want a drop of 3.7V, so V=iR
so that gives a resistor of 370 Ohms for the Photodiode, and using the same logic a Resistor of 175 Ohms for the LED.

Will this work? or will my components still fry?

Thank you for all your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That's a sensible way to do it, and you seem to have calculated the resistor values correctly.

I don't know why it didn't "work" in Multisim. Did you have the diodes the wrong way round in your input? Or are you misinterpreting the output somehow?

Cut the problem down to the minimum, and simulate just a resistor, a diode, and a 5V voltage source.

yeah well, In multisim I just did the resistor, the diode and the source, and where I think the problem might be is that I connected the other lead to ground? since I didnt know what to put there (I didnt want to completely re-draw my circuit, which I just showed in that picture as a "black box")

I'll try it again and upload some screenshots, but it was pretty much that same picture up there but with ground instead of the black boxes.

Or maybe it was that I listed it as VCC? (I am not sure, but it says vcc are TTL sources, i don't know if maybe a CMOS source? or what type of source should I use? or does it even matter, just for the multisim schematic?)Anyways, Thanks, ill try it like so and hopefully i won't fry my components

it would depend on what the connection in the "black box" is that the LED is being connected to
ie. is it a current sink -- that point is grounded when an operation occurs therefore allowing current to flow from 5V through the resistor and LED to ground
or is it a current source ?, which will require the LED to be reversed and going to an external ground via the resistor

Only you can tell us what is occurring in your "black box"

Dave

!

I would suggest that your proposed solution of adding resistors to create a voltage drop could work, but it is not a guaranteed solution. It is important to consider the power dissipation of the resistors and make sure they can handle the current and voltage that will be passing through them. Additionally, it may be worth considering using a voltage regulator or a different power supply that can provide the appropriate voltage for all components. This will ensure that your components are not at risk of frying and will also provide a more stable power source for your circuit. It is always important to carefully read and understand the specifications of all components before using them in a circuit to avoid damaging them.

Related to Can Adding Resistors Prevent Overvoltage Damage to LEDs and Photodiodes?

1. How can I prevent a component from overheating?

Overheating is one of the main causes of fried components. To prevent this, make sure the component has proper ventilation and is not covered or obstructed by other objects. Additionally, using a heat sink or fan can also help dissipate excess heat.

2. Can using the wrong power supply fry a component?

Yes, using a power supply with the wrong voltage or current can cause a component to fry. Always double check the specifications of the component and use a power supply that matches those specifications.

3. Is it important to ground myself before handling components?

Yes, it is important to ground yourself before handling components to prevent any static electricity from damaging the component. This can be done by using an anti-static wrist strap or by touching a grounded object.

4. Can poor soldering techniques fry a component?

Poor soldering techniques can definitely lead to fried components. It is important to use the right temperature and soldering techniques to ensure a secure and clean connection. It is also important to avoid using too much heat, as this can damage the component.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when working with sensitive components?

Yes, when working with sensitive components, it is important to handle them with care and avoid any unnecessary physical stress. It is also important to store them properly when not in use, and to avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures or moisture.