Can AA Batteries Store Enough Energy for Wireless Sensor Networks?

In summary, the conversation discusses the estimation of initial sensor battery energy for wireless sensor networks. The use of 2 AA batteries for each sensor node is mentioned, but there are no assumptions about current. The conversation also explores the difficulty of finding a direct estimate and the potential tradeoffs in using a DC-DC converter. The conversation ends with a comparison of battery life and capacity in electronic devices.
whitenight541
Hi all,

I'm using NS2 to simulate wireless sensor networks. I want an estimate of the initial sensor battery energy. I know that each sensor node uses 2 AA batteries. I have no assumptions about the current. I search for a while on the internet but couldn't find a direct estimate.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen that link before .. but I feel that the numbers are very large! Is it possible for such a small battery to store such big amount of joules?
Is there any other place that I can validate these numbers from?

Why do the numbers feel large? Looks like the biggest energy storage in a AA battery is like 3 Calories. A joule is a very small unit.

Most people are surprised when they first find out how much energy things use. We occasionally get people in here asking stuff like how long they can power their house by lowering a ton of concrete 10 meters to drive a generator and they are shocked at the answer.

I agree.
There is a huge difference in the amount of energy needed to move something around compared with heating it up. So much so that it goes against our intuition.

But compare how much food mammals need, compared with fish. That says it all.

whitenight541 said:
Hi all,

I'm using NS2 to simulate wireless sensor networks. I want an estimate of the initial sensor battery energy. I know that each sensor node uses 2 AA batteries. I have no assumptions about the current. I search for a while on the internet but couldn't find a direct estimate.

Thanks in advance

To estimate the battery life for a wireless sensor node (something I have done in detail), you start with the datasheet for the battery:

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/E91.pdf

and use the discharge curves to see how much time you can get current out of the batteries at a reasonable voltage. For the current, you use the active and standby currents, and the on/standby duty cycle that you are designing to.

There are tradeoffs in using a DC-DC (boost/buck or sepic) converter to try to extract all of the energy out of the batteries. You would need a very efficient DC-DC to justify using one. For one design that I worked on, it turned out to be optimum to use 3xAA batteries, in order to get the best battery life in a fairly small package. Using 3 in series let us meet the RF circuit and the microcrontroller voltage specs, even at the end (85%) of the life of the alkaline batteries.

I have seen that link before .. but I feel that the numbers are very large! Is it possible for such a small battery to store such big amount of joules?

In some respects the numbers may in a sense seem large...BUT everytime time I check an electronic device, such as a TV remote control for instance, I find that it stops working at perhaps 1.35 volts vs maybe 1.52 volts when brand new...thats a huge difference in capacity relative to a discharge voltage of say 0.8 that I just saw on the energizer site...that might be ok for a flashlight with a rather dim light, but I have not come across electyronic devices that will tolerate that.

Related to Can AA Batteries Store Enough Energy for Wireless Sensor Networks?

1. How much energy does an AA battery contain?

The amount of energy contained in an AA battery can vary depending on the specific brand and type of battery. However, on average, an AA battery contains approximately 2,400-3,000 milliampere-hours (mAh) of energy.

2. How long will an AA battery last in a specific device?

The length of time an AA battery will last in a device depends on a variety of factors, including the type of device, the energy consumption of the device, and the quality of the battery. On average, an AA battery can power a small electronic device for 8-10 hours.

3. Can I estimate the remaining energy in an AA battery?

Yes, there are a few ways to estimate the remaining energy in an AA battery. One method is to use a battery tester, which measures the voltage of the battery. Another method is to use a multimeter to measure the current flow from the battery. You can also estimate the remaining energy by keeping track of the battery usage and comparing it to the battery's known capacity.

4. How does the temperature affect an AA battery's energy output?

Cold temperatures can decrease an AA battery's energy output, while warmer temperatures can increase it. This is due to the chemical reactions that take place inside the battery, which are affected by temperature. It is recommended to store and use batteries at room temperature for optimal energy output.

5. Are there any ways to extend the energy life of an AA battery?

Yes, there are a few ways to extend the energy life of an AA battery. One way is to use high-quality batteries from reputable brands. Another way is to properly store and handle the batteries, avoiding exposure to extreme temperatures. Additionally, using the correct battery size for your device and turning off devices when not in use can also help extend battery life.