Can a Thief Escape a Building Using a Rope?

• Thread starter brycenrg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Escape
In summary: The tension on the rope is zero if his downward acceleration is less than 2.2 m/sec^2 and the tension is infinite if his downward acceleration is more than 2.2 m/sec^2.
brycenrg

Homework Statement

A 75 kg thief wants to escape a building. He has a rope that supports 58kg how can he escape?

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

75kg*g = W
58kg*g = T
T - W = 75kg*a
a = (t-w)/m
If he applies a acceleration upwards at 2.2 m/s^2 he would survive.
When i do the calculation I get a negative number, which would mean he would be applying a acceleration downwards which doesn't make sense. Why is that?
In my equation T is positive

Physics news on Phys.org
brycenrg said:

Homework Statement

A 75 kg thief wants to escape a building. He has a rope that supports 58kg how can he escape?

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

75kg*g = W
58kg*g = T
T - W = 75kg*a
a = (t-w)/m
If he applies a acceleration upwards at 2.2 m/s^2 he would survive.
When i do the calculation I get a negative number, which would mean he would be applying a acceleration downwards which doesn't make sense. Why is that?
In my equation T is positive
Why would he want to climb upward to get out of a building? Shouldn't he lower himself down from the building?

Mark44 said:
Why would he want to climb upward to get out of a building? Shouldn't he lower himself down from the building?
That makes sense he has to accell downwards to go. But what it means is if he accels downwards more that 2.2 then the rope wouldn't support him right?

brycenrg said:
That makes sense he has to accell downwards to go. But what it means is if he accels downwards more that 2.2 then the rope wouldn't support him right?
I think you are confused. If he was just hanging from the rope, with no accleration, the rope would break, right? If he slid down the rope, just barely hanging onto it (which would burn his hands), he would be acclerating at just under ##9.8 \frac m {sec^2}##. Would the rope break then?

Mark44 said:
I think you are confused. If he was just hanging from the rope, with no accleration, the rope would break, right? If he slid down the rope, just barely hanging onto it (which would burn his hands), he would be acclerating at just under ##9.8 \frac m {sec^2}##. Would the rope break then?
I am, I want to say if he used friction to slow him down to just = to T and under that force he would be ok. Which is under 2.2m/s^2.
But it seems like your saying he has to be going faster than gravity, which doesn't make sense to me

brycenrg said:
I am, I want to say if he used friction to slow him down to just = to T and under that force he would be ok. Which is under 2.2m/s^2.
But it seems like your saying he has to be going faster than gravity, which doesn't make sense to me
Yes, it doesn't make sense, and that isn't what I was saying, either.

The acceleration due to gravity is acting downward. What is the tension on the rope if his downward acceleration, relative to the fixed rope, is less than 2.2 m/sec^2? What's the tension on the rope if his downward acceleration, again relative to the fixed rope, is more than 2.2 m/sec^2? You're getting bogged down in the minutiae of the problem and are missing the bigger picture.

Related to Can a Thief Escape a Building Using a Rope?

What is the moral dilemma surrounding helping a thief escape?

The moral dilemma surrounding helping a thief escape is whether it is right to assist someone in evading punishment for their actions, especially if those actions were illegal or harmful to others.

What are the potential consequences of helping a thief escape?

The potential consequences of helping a thief escape include facing criminal charges yourself, being complicit in the thief's future crimes, and damaging your own moral integrity.

Is it ever justified to help a thief escape?

This is a highly debated question and opinions may vary. Some may argue that it is never justified to assist someone in avoiding the consequences of their actions, while others may argue that it depends on the circumstances and the severity of the crime committed.

What should a scientist consider when faced with the decision to help a thief escape?

A scientist should consider their personal ethics, the potential consequences of their actions, and the impact it may have on their career and reputation. They should also consider the potential harm that could be caused by the thief in the future if they are allowed to escape punishment.

How can a scientist ethically approach the situation of helping a thief escape?

A scientist should carefully weigh the pros and cons, seek advice from ethical experts or colleagues, and consider the potential implications of their actions on themselves and others. It may also be helpful to consider alternative methods of helping the thief, such as counseling or rehabilitation, rather than aiding in their escape.