Can a Supercapacitor be Charged with Only One Wire and a Grounded Battery?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of charging a supercapacitor with only one wire. The participants discuss the need to connect both terminals of the capacitor to the anode and cathode of a battery in order to charge it properly. They also address the importance of a reference point, or ground, for measuring voltage. The conversation also includes a link to a helpful explanation and a discussion about using any conductive material as a ground reference.
Samson4
Why can't I charge my supercapacitor with 1 wire? If the ions in the electrolyte make up the opposite electroldes, why won't it store charge when I charge it with 1 wire? It makes since for it to hold less charge but it's not charging at all.

I'm using a grounded battery. 1 wire to my supercap and 1 to ground.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to connect both terminals of the cap to the anode and cathode of the battery to charge it. The voltage at a point has to be in respect to something. I think that if you hook up your battery to Earth ground and the capacitor to Earth ground, and then run a wire between the positive terminals, it will charge.

Likes Samson4
Thanks for the help. I don't understand why both are needed. If you connect a conductor to a voltage source, it becomes charged to the voltage. Why then won't the conductor attract ions to it's surface?

What about this situation? Should these supercaps charge? I don't have a second supercap of equal parameters; otherwise, I would try it out.
edlc.png

Something can only have voltage with respect to something else. Hooking up a single wire is meaningless, unless you are defining that wire as ground or "0" volts. When we say, for instance, 9 volts, we mean 9 volts potential with respect to our choice of ground. A single wire can't charge something without a complete circuit due to this.

http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...itive-terminal-to-the-negative-terminal-of-an
Scroll down and look at the battery picture and explanation, it might help you understand even though it isn't exactly what you are asking.

Edit: Yes, those caps would charge, I think. I connected it on Icircuit and it seemed to think so, though not really charged in a useful way. Your "ground" basically makes a short between both ends of the capacitors. If you just wanted to charge the cap, hook them both in parallel to the positive terminal, then the other end to ground, and the negative terminal of the battery to ground. That will charge them as long as the ground used is the same... Which means you're back to using a closed circuit in practice.

Last edited:
Likes Samson4
Anything conductive can be used as a ground reference. "Ground" just means the place you define to be 0 volt potential. It does not mean actual earth, or somewhere current dissapears to, it's just convention.

Likes Samson4
Thank you very much karmaslap.

Likes Karmaslap

Related to Can a Supercapacitor be Charged with Only One Wire and a Grounded Battery?

1. How do I charge an EDLC with 1 lead?

To charge an EDLC with 1 lead, you will need to connect the positive lead of the EDLC to the positive terminal of the power source and the negative lead of the EDLC to the negative terminal of the power source. This will allow the power source to charge the EDLC.

2. What type of power source can I use to charge an EDLC with 1 lead?

You can use a variety of power sources to charge an EDLC with 1 lead, such as a battery, solar panel, or a power supply. It is important to make sure that the power source has the appropriate voltage and current rating for the EDLC.

3. How long does it take to fully charge an EDLC with 1 lead?

The charging time for an EDLC with 1 lead will depend on the capacity of the EDLC and the current rating of the power source. For example, a 1 Farad EDLC being charged with a 1 amp power source will take approximately 1 second to charge to its full capacity. It is important to monitor the charging process and disconnect the power source once the EDLC is fully charged.

4. Can I charge multiple EDLCs with 1 lead at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to charge multiple EDLCs with 1 lead at the same time. However, it is important to make sure that the total capacitance of the EDLCs does not exceed the current rating of the power source. This can lead to overcharging and potentially damaging the EDLCs.

5. What is the recommended charging voltage for an EDLC with 1 lead?

The recommended charging voltage for an EDLC with 1 lead is typically around 2.7-3.0 volts. It is important to check the manufacturer's specifications for the specific EDLC to ensure that you are using the correct charging voltage. Using a higher voltage can lead to overcharging and potentially damaging the EDLC.