Can a straight line segment have perpendicular bisectors?

In summary, a straight line segment is a part of a straight line that has two distinct endpoints and all the points between them. It is different from a straight line in that it has a fixed length and endpoints, while a straight line extends infinitely in both directions. In geometry, it is represented by a line with a horizontal bar above the endpoints, and its properties include having two endpoints, a fixed length, and being the shortest distance between two points on a plane. In real life, straight line segments are used in various applications, including construction, engineering, and design, as well as in everyday objects and mathematical and scientific calculations.
bobsmith76
my book says

a straight line segment has no perpendicular bisectors

I don't see why. I think it's rather obvious that it does.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:
my book says

a straight line segment has no perpendicular bisectors

I don't see why. I think it's rather obvious that it does.

Give the quote and in context please.

Never mind, I got it, I replaced the word true with false.

Screenshot2011-09-17at65902PM.png

Screenshot2011-09-17at65942PM.png

Related to Can a straight line segment have perpendicular bisectors?

1. What is a straight line segment?

A straight line segment is a part of a straight line that consists of two distinct points called endpoints, and all the points between them.

2. How is a straight line segment different from a straight line?

A straight line segment is a part of a straight line with a fixed length and two endpoints, while a straight line extends infinitely in both directions without any endpoints.

3. How is a straight line segment represented in geometry?

In geometry, a straight line segment is represented by a line with a horizontal bar placed above the two endpoints. The length of the segment is usually denoted by placing the measurement between the two endpoints.

4. What are the properties of a straight line segment?

The properties of a straight line segment include having two endpoints, a fixed length, and being a part of a straight line. It is also the shortest distance between two points on a plane.

5. How is a straight line segment used in real life?

Straight line segments are used in various applications, such as construction, engineering, and design. They are also used in everyday objects, such as roads, buildings, and furniture, as well as in mathematical and scientific calculations.