Can a Skydiver Survive a Free Fall Without a Parachute?

In summary, using the equations Vf^2-Vi^2 = 2*a* \Delta x and \Deltax = Vi + 1/2 * a *t^2, a minimum distance of 127.55 m can be calculated for a sky diver to come to a rest and survive after hitting the ground with a terminal velocity of 50 m/s, assuming a maximum acceleration of 75g.
Xman1120

Homework Statement

For a brief moment, the human body can withstand accelerations of up to 75g. If a sky diver is unlucky enough to have a parachute fail, and hits the ground with a terminal velocity of 50 m/s, what is the minimum distance over which he can come to a rest (assuming constant acceleration) and survive. This occasionally happens if one is fortunate enough to land in thick brush, deep snow and/or on a steep hill.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = Vi + 1/2 * a *t^2
Vf^2-Vi^2 = 2*a* [tex]\Delta[/tex] x

The Attempt at a Solution

Without having a height or a time, my assumption would be to use Vf^2-Vi^2 = 2*a* [tex]\Delta[/tex] x , but when doing this I assume the acceleration would be 9.8 m/s^2 , the terminal velocity being Vf which is 50 m/s, however when i calculate and solve for x i get 127.55 m, yet I don't believe that's the minimum. where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the initial velocity (50 m/s), final velocity (0 m/s), and acceleration (75g). From this information you should be able to determine distance.

Then I'm assuming that after my calculations, that would be the minimum distance?

Yes. If the max acceleration the human body can stand is 75g, the distance associated with a body slowing down to rest would be the minimum distance. Greater distances would imply lower acceleration.

Your approach is correct, but your assumption for the acceleration is incorrect. The acceleration experienced by the skydiver will not be 9.8 m/s^2, as they are not in free fall with a parachute. Instead, they are experiencing a much higher acceleration of 75g, which is equivalent to 735 m/s^2. Therefore, when using the equation Vf^2-Vi^2 = 2*a* \Delta x, you should use 735 m/s^2 for the acceleration.

Additionally, the initial velocity (Vi) in this case would be 0 m/s, as the skydiver is starting from rest. Therefore, the equation becomes Vf^2 = 2*a* \Delta x. Plugging in the given values, we get:

50^2 = 2*735* \Delta x
\Delta x = 0.034 m

This means that the minimum distance over which the skydiver can come to a rest and survive is only 0.034 meters, which is a very short distance. This is due to the extremely high acceleration experienced by the skydiver. So even if they were to land in thick brush, deep snow, or on a steep hill, they would still need to come to a stop over a very short distance in order to survive.

Related to Can a Skydiver Survive a Free Fall Without a Parachute?

1. What is free fall without parachute?

Free fall without parachute is a scenario in which an object or person is falling towards the ground without the use of a parachute or any other means of slowing down the descent. This is often associated with skydiving or base jumping accidents.

2. How fast does free fall without parachute occur?

The speed at which free fall without parachute occurs depends on several factors, such as the weight and size of the object or person, the altitude at which the fall begins, and the air resistance. Typically, the speed can reach up to 120 miles per hour.

3. Can someone survive free fall without parachute?

Surviving free fall without parachute is highly unlikely. The impact from falling at such high speeds can cause serious injuries or even death. However, there have been rare cases where individuals have survived by landing on something that cushioned the impact, such as trees or snowdrifts.

4. What are the dangers of free fall without parachute?

The main danger of free fall without parachute is the impact from hitting the ground at high speeds. This can result in broken bones, internal injuries, or even death. Additionally, without a parachute, there is no way to control or slow down the descent, making it difficult to land safely.

5. How can free fall without parachute be prevented?

The most effective way to prevent free fall without parachute is to always use a parachute or other safety equipment when participating in activities such as skydiving or base jumping. Proper training and following safety procedures can also help reduce the risk of accidents and injuries.