Can a Series LC Circuit Effectively Drive MOSFET Gates?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of using a series LC circuit powered by a rectified + rail and a resistor to stabilize voltage and drive switch MOSFETs. The speaker also mentions the use of a diode to provide deadtime between switching and reduce heat buildup. They are seeking insight on the effectiveness of this circuit and are considering using a thyristor, but are concerned about the need for gate control.
Crazymechanic
Hi, I have built some stuff before mainly amplifiers and some power supply modules, tell me what you think of this.
I want to ask is it possible to have a series lc circuit that is powered from the rectified + rail through a resistor that gives me the correct voltage and transorb that would make the voltage even more stable then the voltage is fed to the series lc and from the series lc the voltage is extracted to drive the gates of the switch mosfets. Being that the sine wave in the capacitor and the coil is 180 degrees out of phase it should be good as I could switch one mosfet at a time , well ok I'll attach the picture because otherwise my speaking is hard to get I guess.

So what do you think can such a circuit (with additional features ofcourse like safety and voltage control) work?
Share your insight please.

Attachments

• shema (2).jpg
    shema (2).jpg
    23 KB · Views: 537
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi I'm sorry the image attache din the first post isn't the final one this is the better I saw some mistakes in that one, so could you please tell me if the principle I made in this schematic could work well enough.
By the way the place where the sine wave goes to the mosfet gates I would like to use a diode there that would turn on when the sine wave half period reaches certain value , that would give the "fets" some deadtime between switching and also less heat buildup in the devices as the switching would be sharper.

So I'm looking for diodes that let's say starts conduct forward above a certain voltage level and in high frequency.
A thyristor I imagine is one such device but it has gate that needs to be controlled.That complicates the schematic.

Attachments

• schematic 1.jpg
    schematic 1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 530

Related to Can a Series LC Circuit Effectively Drive MOSFET Gates?

1. What is a series LC MOSFET gate drive?

A series LC MOSFET gate drive is a type of circuit that is used to control the switching of a MOSFET (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor). It consists of a series combination of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel with the MOSFET's gate terminal.

2. How does a series LC MOSFET gate drive work?

The inductor in the circuit helps to store and release energy, while the capacitor helps to smooth out the voltage. When the MOSFET is switched on, the inductor will store energy from the power source. When the MOSFET is switched off, the energy stored in the inductor will be released, causing a spike in voltage. The capacitor helps to absorb this spike and provide a smooth voltage to the MOSFET's gate, ensuring proper switching.

3. What are the advantages of using a series LC MOSFET gate drive?

One advantage is that it helps to reduce voltage spikes and noise, leading to better performance and reliability of the MOSFET. It also allows for faster switching speeds and better control over the MOSFET's output. Additionally, it can help to reduce power loss and improve efficiency in certain applications.

4. What are some common applications of series LC MOSFET gate drives?

Series LC MOSFET gate drives are commonly used in power electronics, such as in DC-DC converters, motor drives, and power supplies. They can also be found in audio amplifiers and switch mode power supplies.

5. Are there any limitations or considerations when using a series LC MOSFET gate drive?

One limitation is that the size and cost of the inductor and capacitor can be significant, especially for high-power applications. Additionally, the circuit may be more complex and require careful design to ensure proper operation. It is also important to consider the switching frequency, as using a series LC MOSFET gate drive at too high of a frequency can lead to high switching losses and decreased efficiency.