Can a self adjoint operator have a continous spectrum ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a self adjoint operator having a continuous spectrum and the orthonormality condition for eigenfunctions in this case. It also mentions the use of Dirac deltas in representing the inner product between states in a space spanned by continuous eigenkets in physics, but cautions against using physics as a starting point for rigorous mathematical development.
Klaus_Hoffmann
Can a self adjoint operator have a continuous spectrum ??

If we have a self adjoint operator

[tex] Ly_{n} = \lambda _{n} [/tex]

can n take arbitrary real values (n >0 ) in the sense that the spectrum will be continuous ?

and in that case, what is the orthonormality condition for eigenfunctions

[tex] <y_{n} |y_{m}>= \delta (n-m) [/tex]

where 'd' is dirac delta, as a generalization of discrete case of Kronecker delta. could someone put an example ? (since all the cases from QM i know the spectrum is discrete) thankx

Physics news on Phys.org
Just look up spectral analysis, please, Jose. C* algebras, stuff like that. (I seem to remember making this request a lot in the past - have you followed that advice?)

The orthonormality condition is precisely what it ought to be - two things are orthogonal if their (inner) product is 0. I don't know what makes you think that Dirac deltas have anything to do with taking an inner product (which by definition is just a complex number, not a distribution).

This is basic functional analysis, and not differential equations anyway - one of the first things you learn is that there is, I seem to think, a bijection between (arbitrary) compact subsets of C and commutative C* algebras. Perhaps I have missed some hypotheses, but that is a well known result.

Last edited:
If this is a physics question (rather than a math question) then yes, physicists indeed use the Dirac delta to represent the inner product between states in a space spanned by continuous eigenkets (but then, physicists do a lot of things that make mathematicians cringe). A reason for this choice is that it provides a working extension to the completeness condition. I've never seen a rigorous development for this though.

If you want to use produce some new math, I strongly advise against starting from physics.

Last edited:

Related to Can a self adjoint operator have a continous spectrum ?

1. What is a self-adjoint operator?

A self-adjoint operator is a linear operator on a Hilbert space that is equal to its own adjoint. This means that the inner product of the operator with any vector is equal to the inner product of its adjoint with the same vector.

2. What is a continuous spectrum?

A continuous spectrum of an operator refers to a set of values that the operator can take on, which form a continuous interval on the real number line. This is in contrast to a discrete spectrum, where the set of values is a discrete set of points on the real number line.

3. Can a self-adjoint operator have a continuous spectrum?

Yes, a self-adjoint operator can have a continuous spectrum. In fact, many common operators in quantum mechanics, such as the position and momentum operators, have continuous spectra.

4. What is the significance of a continuous spectrum for a self-adjoint operator?

The presence of a continuous spectrum for a self-adjoint operator indicates that the operator has an infinite number of eigenvalues. This can have important implications for the physical system being described by the operator, as it means that there are an infinite number of possible outcomes for a measurement of the operator.

5. How is the continuous spectrum of a self-adjoint operator related to the eigenvalues of the operator?

The continuous spectrum of a self-adjoint operator is made up of eigenvalues that correspond to eigenvectors that are not in the Hilbert space. These eigenvalues are often referred to as "essential eigenvalues." In addition, there may also be discrete eigenvalues in the continuous spectrum, which correspond to eigenvectors that are in the Hilbert space.