Can a Second Hole Be Added to a Leaking Tank to Achieve the Same Water Range?

In summary: Better, consider h' in respect of this equation in your post #5: Δx = 2 √(h(H-h)).Drawing a sketch of Δx as function of h could be useful.
Okazaki

Homework Statement

(This is a continuation of the problem where I proved Torricelli's Law: v = (2gh))

The water level in a tank lies a distance H above the floor. There is a hole in the tank that a distance h below the water level
a.) Find the distance x from the wall of the tank at which the leaked stream of water hits the floor
b.) Could another hole be punched at another depth h' so that this second stream would have the same range? If so, at what depth?

Homework Equations

Δx = (vf2 - vi2)/g
v = (2gh)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I was not really sure what to do here at all (and I probably ended up solving it completely wrong.)

So, basically, I wasn't exactly sure how to find the distance, since I only knew the initial velocity in the x direction (or, at least, I assumed v = (2gh)) was the velocity of the water in the x direction based off the picture in the problem.)

So, what I tried was:
(Since the equation I had to derive from Torricelli's law in the problem I had to do before this ended up being Δv = (2gh), I assumed:)

Δx = (2gh)/g
= 2h

For b, I'm completely confused on even where to begin solving for the equation.

Attachments

• pf2.PNG
    pf2.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,889
Physics news on Phys.org
Where does that Δx formula come from?
Your water, once it leaves the tank, moves horizontally and is in free fall. What do you know about objects in free fall?

Likes Okazaki
mfb said:
Where does that Δx formula come from?
Your water, once it leaves the tank, moves horizontally and is in free fall. What do you know about objects in free fall?

Wait a minute...the water has a vy when it leaves the tank of 0 m/s, doesn't it? If so, then I think I can solve it.

Right, assuming "y" is your vertical coordinate.

Likes Okazaki
mfb said:
Right, assuming "y" is your vertical coordinate.

Well, I over-thought that problem.

Then:

vi-y = 0 m/s
So:
==> vf-y = vi-y + 2gh
= 0 + 2gh
= 2gh

So:
vf-y = vi-y + gt
t = vf-y/g
==> t = (2gh)/g

So:
This is where I use: v = (2gh)
Δx = vi-yt + 0.5at2
= (2g*(H-h)) * (2gh)/g
= 2 √(h(H-h))

Still not sure about b, though. Would I just work backwards?

Okazaki said:
Δx = vi-yt + 0.5at2
= (2g*(H-h)) * (2gh)/g
= 2 √(h(H-h))

Still not sure about b, though. Would I just work backwards?
If a hole at height h' produces the same Δx, what equation can you write?

Likes Okazaki
A velocity cannot be equal to 2gh, the units do not match. And I don't understand the other steps, but the result looks right.

Likes Okazaki
mfb said:
A velocity cannot be equal to 2gh, the units do not match. And I don't understand the other steps, but the result looks right.
v = (2gh) was what I had to prove in the previous problem.

mfb said:

Wait, I see the issue. In my notes, I think I had a square root sign. It just never made it onto paper.

haruspex said:
If a hole at height h' produces the same Δx, what equation can you write?

Well, if it's at h', then the Vi-x will be √(2g(H-h')) and you can work backwards from there.

Okazaki said:
Well, if it's at h', then the Vi-x will be √(2g(H-h')) and you can work backwards from there.
Better, consider h' in respect of this equation in your post #5: Δx = 2 √(h(H-h)).

Drawing a sketch of Δx as function of h could be useful.

Related to Can a Second Hole Be Added to a Leaking Tank to Achieve the Same Water Range?

What is Torricelli's Law Problem?

Torricelli's Law Problem is a physics problem that involves determining the speed of a fluid as it flows out of a small opening in a container. It is named after Italian physicist Evangelista Torricelli who first discovered the principle in the 17th century.

What is the equation for Torricelli's Law?

The equation for Torricelli's Law is v = √(2gh), where v is the speed of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid above the opening.

What is the significance of Torricelli's Law?

Torricelli's Law is significant because it allows us to calculate the speed of a fluid without having to directly measure it. This can be useful in many real-life situations, such as determining the flow rate of water in a pipe or the speed of a river.

What are the assumptions made in Torricelli's Law?

The main assumptions made in Torricelli's Law are that the fluid is incompressible (meaning its density does not change), the flow is steady, and there is no friction present. Additionally, the opening should be small compared to the height of the fluid.

How can Torricelli's Law be applied in real-life situations?

Torricelli's Law can be applied in various real-life situations, such as designing plumbing systems, calculating the flow rate of liquids in industrial processes, and predicting the speed of water in rivers and streams. It can also be used in experiments to study the behavior of fluids.