Can a Red Laser Create Beautiful Diffraction Patterns with Limited Materials?

In summary, the conversation discusses different techniques for creating diffraction patterns using a red laser. Suggestions include using an old CD or DVD, razor blades and wires to create single and double slits, aiming at different objects such as light bulbs, using a beam expander to create a shadow of a coin with a bright spot in the center, experimenting with stretched hairs, and using a piece of foil with a pinhole to create a circular aperture diffraction pattern. The conversation also mentions using a laser printer and transparency sheets for creating diffraction patterns. The possibility of investigating hair width based on diffraction patterns is also discussed, with the suggestion of using wire of known thickness to calibrate the setup.
p.tryon
Hi
I was wondering whether anyone could suggest ways of making nice diffraction patterns using a red laser. I work at a charitable school in Kazakhstan so am limited in terms of materials. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
What kind of diffraction patterns do you want to look at?

Do you have an old CD or DVD laying around? Bouncing a laser off of that, it acts as a diffraction grating.

You can use two razor blades mounted to make a nice single slit. You can even put a thin wire between them on one end, and make the blade edges touch at the other, and have a continuous variable width single slit.

I've seen double slits made with two razor blades and a thin wire.

Turn the lights off in the lounge or kitchen etc .. and fire the laser beam at all sorts of stuff ..

Personally i like aiming at frosted or florescent light bulbs , but you will find all sorts of objects that work well in this regard (especially glancing angles where you aim at the edge of an object .

Two more ideas. One that was done at my university and the photos featured in the Serway undergrad text...if you have a beam expander, make the beam larger than whatever small coin you have there. We generally use a penny or a dime, which are 9.25mm and 8mm in diameter, and are suspended by the thinnest thread we can find. When projected in a dark room, with a good expanded beam, you can see the shadow of the coin within the beam on a target some distance away. You will also see a bright spot in the CENTER of the target--a bright spot that can only be there because of diffraction. If it isn't clear, try moving the target closer or farther away--I don't recall the exact distance we used, but it was within an indoor laboratory.

Also, try stretching a hair straight and shining the laser on it. Try different hairs--see if the students can rank the hairs by thickness based on the diffraction pattern.

Use a piece of foil--even a candy wrapper--and make a tiny pinhole in it. I have made really small ones by placing the foil on a piece of glass, and tapping the pin on the surface of the foil. You'll see a circular aperture diffraction pattern--bright center spot, alternating dark/light rings.

I found another I remembered--do you have a decent laser printer and transparency sheets that will work in it?

http://physics.bgsu.edu/~vanhook/gratings/

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this site! Thank you so much for all these great ideas. I will try experimenting. The laser jet prints look amazing but I don't think we have the laser jet :-(

P.S. if we were investigating hair width based on the diffraction pattern is there an equation we would need?

Thanks again!

I would investigate first without an equation if i was you p.t .
Bring forth equation from observation is a encouraging cycle .

Another thing to mention is that by reflecting the coherent bean obliquely off an object you can achieve a primary dispersion pattern ..

The secondary linear filtering of this pattern through a window can reduce the Photon beam considerably .. which can be interesting .

Also using some small electric fans as oscillating gates the beam can be further reduced in volume ..

cheers

You could "calibrate" the hair-measuring laser setup by using wire of known thickness...maybe magnet wire. Measure the characteristics of the diffraction pattern with the various thicknesses of wire, look for a mathematical relationship between the pattern and the wire thickness, then interpolate or extrapolate to the thickness of the hair.

Related to Can a Red Laser Create Beautiful Diffraction Patterns with Limited Materials?

1. What are diffraction patterns?

Diffraction patterns are patterns of light and dark spots that are formed when a beam of light passes through a small opening or around an object. They are caused by the bending or spreading of light waves as they encounter obstacles or pass through narrow slits.

2. How are pretty diffraction patterns created?

Pretty diffraction patterns are created by shining light through a small opening or around an object with a regular, repeating pattern. The resulting diffraction pattern is then projected onto a surface, creating the distinct light and dark areas that form a visually appealing pattern.

3. What makes diffraction patterns pretty?

The prettiness of a diffraction pattern is subjective and can vary depending on personal taste. However, generally, diffraction patterns are considered pretty because of their symmetrical and intricate nature, as well as the vibrant colors that can be produced when using different wavelengths of light.

4. What is the scientific significance of studying pretty diffraction patterns?

Studying diffraction patterns can provide valuable insights into the properties of light and the behavior of waves. It is also useful in various fields such as optics, crystallography, and spectroscopy. By analyzing diffraction patterns, scientists can gather information about the size, shape, and structure of objects and materials.

5. Can pretty diffraction patterns be used for practical purposes?

Yes, pretty diffraction patterns have many practical applications. For example, they are used in X-ray crystallography to determine the structure of molecules, in spectroscopy to identify substances, and in optical devices such as holograms and diffraction gratings. They are also used in art and design to create visually appealing patterns and images.