Can a Railgun-Powered Ramjet Solve the Challenges of High-Speed Travel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's design of a Hypervelocity Passenger Vehicle and the challenges they faced with engine design. They eventually came up with a railgun-powered ramjet called Excel 1, but it would require laser-cooling systems to cool the air to a temperature where it becomes superconductive before being ejected out. The conversation also touches on the possibility of making a material that can sustain that temperature without shattering.
BoeingJet
Recently, I designed (in my head) a Hypervelocity Passenger Vehicle (just a cool name for really high speed transports). I immediately ran into engine design problems ( I like designing everything stand-alone), since regular jet engines can't get to Mach 8.8 without burning up into flames, and rocket engines are too polluting (and also I was obsessed with nuclear jet engines which doesn't use up any fuel whatsoever)
So I spent roughly 2 minutes having a headache before coming up with an insane solution. A railgun-powered ramjet. (I named it Excel 1) However it would require laser-cooling systems to cool the Mach 8.8 air to a temperature where it becomes superconductive before being ejected out from the end by a railgun-style pulse engine design.

My questions: At which temperature would air become superconductive?
Is it possible to make a material which could sustain that temperature without shattering?
Would it be possible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
BoeingJet said:
My questions: At which temperature would air become superconductive?

There is no temperature at which air becomes superconducting. In fact, as the different gases condense into separate liquids, it ceases being air.

How about oxygen?

Thread closed for Moderation...

@BoeingJet -- Please check your Private Messages so I can help you understand a few things about your OP. Thanks. :smile:

What is a railgun-powered ramjet design?

A railgun-powered ramjet design is a type of propulsion system that uses a combination of a railgun and a ramjet engine to propel a projectile or vehicle at high speeds. The railgun provides the initial acceleration, while the ramjet engine sustains the velocity.

How does a railgun-powered ramjet work?

A railgun-powered ramjet works by using electromagnetic forces to accelerate a projectile along a set of conductive rails. Once the projectile reaches a certain velocity, it is then transferred to the ramjet engine, which uses the high-speed airflow created by the projectile to generate thrust and propel the vehicle forward.

What are the advantages of using a railgun-powered ramjet design?

One of the main advantages of a railgun-powered ramjet design is its potential for achieving extremely high velocities. This makes it a promising technology for military applications, such as long-range artillery or hypersonic missiles. Additionally, because it relies on electromagnetic forces rather than traditional chemical propellants, it is potentially more environmentally friendly and cost-effective.

What are the challenges associated with developing a railgun-powered ramjet design?

One of the main challenges is the high energy requirements for the railgun system, which can be difficult to sustain for extended periods of time. Additionally, the high velocities achieved by the projectile can lead to extreme stress and heat on the vehicle, requiring advanced materials and design considerations.

What are some real-world applications of railgun-powered ramjet designs?

Railgun-powered ramjet designs have potential applications in various industries, including defense, space exploration, and transportation. Some examples include long-range artillery, hypersonic missiles, space launch vehicles, and high-speed trains. However, further research and development is needed to fully realize these applications.