Can a point in S^3 be uniquely labeled by a 2 component Spinor?

In summary, the question is whether a point in S^3 can be uniquely labeled by a 2 component spinor and if the topology of S^3 is the same as the space of all two component spinors with magnitude (norm?) 1. The answer is yes, because SU(2) is isomorphic to S^3. A general path in S^3 can be obtained by specifying the angles of rotation in the matrix representation of an SU(2) matrix. Additionally, a Dirac spinor can be thought of as a pair of distinct points in a single three-sphere. Finally, the solution to the question of when a point in S^3 will return to its starting place is t = 2
Spinnor
Gold Member
Can a point in S^3 be uniquely labeled by a 2 component Spinor?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
With a little more thought, I think my question could have been more precise. I guess what I'm really interested in is if the topology of S^3 is the same as the space of all two component spinors with magnitude (norm?) 1? Are they basically the same space? If so I wonder if a spinor times exp(iωt) could be thought of as an orbit in S^3?

Thanks for any help!

It might have been more appropriate to post in the "Topology & Geometry" group, I would move it if I could.

Yes, because [itex]SU(2)[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]S^3[/itex]. We can represent a arbitrary [itex]SU(2)[/itex] matrix by

[tex] U = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 & -z^*_2 \\ z_2 & z_1^*\end{pmatrix}, ~~ |z_1|^2 +|z_2|^2=1.[/tex]

Then the unit spinor

[tex] \psi = U \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

also represents a point on the sphere. The most general orbits would be obtained by writing

[tex] U(t) = \exp [i \sigma^a \theta_a(t) ][/tex]

and specifying the angles of rotation.

Likes Spinnor
Thanks fzero!

S^3 I think I can picture, but a spinor is more confusing to me. I guess it is a little less so now, thanks again.

Spinnor said:

If so I wonder if a spinor times exp(iωt) could be thought of as an orbit in S^3?...

Let ω = 1 and let t = 0, at what time t do we come back to our starting place,

a) t = ∏/2

b) t = ∏

c) t = 2∏

d) t = 4∏

Thanks for any help!

Then can a Dirac spinor be thought of as a pair of points in a pair of three-spheres?

Or a pair of distinct points in a single three-sphere?

A general path looks like?

Thanks for any help!

Spinnor said:
A general path looks like?

Thanks for any help!

A solution of the Dirac equation?

Spinnor said:
Let ω = 1 and let t = 0, at what time t do we come back to our starting place,

a) t = ∏/2

b) t = ∏

c) t = 2∏

d) t = 4∏

Thanks for any help!

Let,

[tex] U(t) = \exp [i \sigma^a \theta_a(t)] = \exp [i \sigma^z t][/tex]

act on [tex] \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Worked out below it looks like the answer is c.

Attachments

• aa163.jpg
    aa163.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 450
fzero said:
Yes, because [itex]SU(2)[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]S^3[/itex]. We can represent a arbitrary [itex]SU(2)[/itex] matrix by

[tex] U = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 & -z^*_2 \\ z_2 & z_1^*\end{pmatrix}, ~~ |z_1|^2 +|z_2|^2=1.[/tex]

S^3 is the set of points in R^4 such that,

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + w^2 = 1

I guess we can let z_1 and z_2 above be,

z_1 = z + iw
z_2 = x + iy

then |z_1|^2 +|z_2|^2=1

Now I can plot the path in S^3, z_1 = exp(it),

z = cos(t), w = sin(t)

Let,

[tex] U(t) = \exp [i \sigma^a \theta_a(t)] = \exp [i \sigma^x t][/tex]

act on [tex] \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Worked out below.

Attachments

• aa164.jpg
    aa164.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 453

Related to Can a point in S^3 be uniquely labeled by a 2 component Spinor?

1. Can you explain what a 2 component Spinor is?

A 2 component Spinor is a mathematical object used in theoretical physics to describe the spin of a particle. It is a complex vector with two components that transforms under rotations and has both a magnitude and direction.

2. Why is it important to label a point in S^3 with a 2 component Spinor?

Labeling a point in S^3 with a 2 component Spinor allows us to describe the rotation and orientation of a particle in three-dimensional space. It is a useful tool in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions.

3. How does a 2 component Spinor uniquely label a point in S^3?

A 2 component Spinor uniquely labels a point in S^3 by representing the rotation and orientation of a particle in three-dimensional space. This is achieved through a mathematical mapping between the 2 component Spinor and the point in S^3.

4. Is there a difference between labeling a point in S^3 with a 2 component Spinor and a 3 component vector?

Yes, there is a difference. A 2 component Spinor contains complex numbers and has a different mathematical structure compared to a 3 component vector. Additionally, the 2 component Spinor allows for a more efficient and elegant description of rotations and orientations in three-dimensional space.

5. Can any point in S^3 be labeled with a 2 component Spinor?

Yes, any point in S^3 can be uniquely labeled with a 2 component Spinor. This is because S^3 is a three-dimensional space and a 2 component Spinor is specifically designed to describe rotations and orientations in three dimensions.