Can a plane escape Earth's gravity with a powerful engine and no air?

In summary, if you have a larger upward force, net acceleration points upwards and so the body will go upwards indefinitely. If you have a smaller upward force, net acceleration will point towards the Earth and the body will stop and accelerate back towards the Earth. If you have no upward force, the body will continue moving away from the Earth.
ahmed emad
If I drive a plane and the force of engine is bigger than force of gravity of it , if the engine is turn on always ,and assuming no air , will the plane continue moving up and escape from the gravity ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If there's no air what does the engine push against to propel the plane forward?

Think of a helicopter it can lift folks up higher and higher but then the air thins out and the propeller blades are less effective so that it will level off unable to climb anymore and hence not escape the earth.

jedishrfu said:
If there's no air what does the engine push against to propel the plane forward?
Ignore this or make it rocket insted

I think it will escape from gravity but escape velocity lesson confused me

ahmed emad said:
You're correct, it will definitely escape. When you pick something up and keep it suspended, you're applying a force equal to gravity upwards, making net acceleration zero. If you have a larger upward force, net acceleration points upwards and so the body will go upwards indefinitely.

Terminal velocity is a bit different. At terminal velocity acceleration still points towards the Earth, but the body is fast enough that it will only come to a stop at infinite distance. This is because as the body moves further away, the force of gravity gets weaker and so velocity decreases at a decreasing rate, proportional to the inverse square law, tending to zero as it approaches infinite distance. Because of this, spacecraft trying to get to a location near to Earth (such as orbit) don't actually require escape velocity as they aren't trying to get away from Earth's gravity completely.

ahmed emad said:

Escape velocity is the velocity something needs to escape an object's gravity if it acquires that velocity at the surface of the object. In other words, if I launch an unpowered projectile from a cannon, it will need to have a velocity equal to or greater than the escape velocity of the Earth in order for it to continue moving forever and not stop and accelerate back towards the Earth at some point. Obviously we're ignoring things like air resistance, gravitational influences of other bodies, the motion of the Earth, etc.

Powered craft, like rockets, can exert a force against gravity while they are in flight and thus they are not required to reach escape velocity. If my spacecraft launches and then reaches a steady velocity of 100 m/s away from the Earth, as long as its engine is exerting enough force to counteract gravity and keep it at 100 m/s then it will continue moving away and will not stop and accelerate back towards the Earth under the force of gravity.

Likes FactChecker and Dale
Escape velocity: momentum is enough to escape with no continuing engine force.
Engine force greater than gravity: may escape at a rate much slower than escape velocity because it is not counting on momentum. The engine is still going.

The thing to keep in mind is that escape velocity at any given distance from the Earth's surface decreases with the distance. So if you were to climb away from the Earth at 100 m/s, once you reached a distance of ~80,000,000 km from the Earth, you will be moving at escape velocity for that distance, and you'll be able to cut your engines. In reality, you'd be able to cut your engines long before that, as this figure does not take the gravitational effects other bodies like the Sun have on your craft. Well before you reach this distance from the Earth (somewhere above 2 times the distance of the Moon) , the Sun's tendency to pull you into an independent orbit around it overcome the Earth's pull on you and you would not fall back to Earth if you cut power.

Likes nasu

Related to Can a plane escape Earth's gravity with a powerful engine and no air?

1. What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is the force that pulls objects towards each other. It is the force that keeps us on the surface of the Earth and governs the motion of planets around the sun.

2. How does gravity affect objects?

Gravity affects objects by pulling them towards the center of the Earth. The strength of the force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. Objects with larger mass have a stronger gravitational pull than objects with smaller mass.

3. Why do objects fall to the ground?

Objects fall to the ground because of the force of gravity. When an object is released from a height, the force of gravity pulls it towards the Earth, causing it to accelerate and eventually reach the ground.

4. Can an object escape gravity?

Yes, an object can escape gravity if it has enough velocity to overcome the force of gravity. This is known as escape velocity and varies depending on the mass of the object and the gravitational pull of the celestial body it is escaping from.

5. How does escape velocity differ on different planets?

Escape velocity differs on different planets because it is dependent on the mass and gravitational pull of the planet. Planets with larger mass and stronger gravitational pull will have a higher escape velocity. For example, the escape velocity on Earth is about 11.2 km/s, while on the moon it is only about 2.38 km/s.