Can a 'periodic' function be used to derive these two sums using Fourier series?

In summary: The person is asking if there is a periodic function that can be used to derive the two given sums. They mention that they know how to obtain the sums using complex analysis, but they want to know if it can also be done using a properly defined periodic function. They suggest using a parabolic+linear waveform and provide the equation for it. They then ask for the values of the variables in the equation.
nasim
Hello... How can I find an appropriate 'periodic' function (associated with a
Fourier series) to derive the following 2 sums?

[tex]1. \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \,\,\, \frac{\coth{(\pi k)}}{k^{3}} \,\,\, = \,\,\, \frac{7 \pi^{3}}{180}[/tex]

[tex]2. \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \,\,\, \frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k^{3} \cdot \sinh{(\pi k)}} \,\,\, = \,\,\, \frac{\pi^{3}}{360}[/tex]

PS: I know how to derive both the above sums using complex analysis,
i.e. for [1], I use

[tex]f(z) = \displaystyle \oint_{C_k \in \Box \;\ni\; k \to \infty} \,\,\, \frac{\cot{\pi z} \cdot \coth{\pi z}}{z^{3}} \;\;\; dz[/tex]

on a 'square' contour centered around z=0, and with poles at z=0 (of order 5),
[tex]\pm1[/tex] (and all the rest are 'simple' poles), [tex]\pm2, \pm3, \pm4,... \pm{i}, \pm{2i}, \pm{3i}, \pm{4i},...[/tex]
and for [2], I use

[tex]f(z) = \displaystyle \oint_{C_k \in \Box \;\ni\; k \to \infty} \,\,\, \frac{1}{z^{3} \cdot \sin{\pi z} \cdot \sinh{\pi z}} \;\;\; dz[/tex]

on a similarly defined contour.

But I wanted to know if it can also be done using a properly defined choice of
[tex][x_0, x_0+T][/tex] piecewise smooth continuous 'periodic' function f(x),
e.g. perhaps a parabolic+linear waveform associated with a Fourier series...
that might look something like:

[tex]\displaymath f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{lll} ax^{2}+bx+c,& x_0 \leq x < x_0+\frac{T}{2}& [\,\,a,b,c \in \mathbb R\,\,] \\
px+q, & x_0+\frac{T}{2} \leq x < x_0+T& [\,\,p,q \in \mathbb R\,\,] \end{array} \right \displaymath[/tex]

I would like to know the values (zero/non-zero) for [tex]a,b,c,p,q = \,\,\,?\,?\,?[/tex]

Thanks much.
---Nasim

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this explanation helps:

Related to Can a 'periodic' function be used to derive these two sums using Fourier series?

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is named after the French mathematician Joseph Fourier who first introduced the concept in the early 19th century.

2. What is the purpose of finding a Fourier series?

The main purpose of finding a Fourier series is to decompose a complex periodic function into simpler trigonometric functions, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. It is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, image analysis, and physics.

3. How do you find a Fourier series?

To find a Fourier series, you need to first determine the period of the given function. Then, you can use a set of formulas and techniques, including the Fourier series coefficients and the Fourier series formula, to calculate the coefficients and write the series in its final form.

4. Can any periodic function be represented by a Fourier series?

Yes, any continuous and periodic function can be represented by a Fourier series. However, some functions may require an infinite number of terms in the series to accurately represent them, while others may require only a finite number of terms.

5. What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series represents a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions, while a Fourier transform represents a non-periodic function as a combination of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies. The Fourier series is used for periodic functions, while the Fourier transform is used for aperiodic functions.